Prepare to Earn National Certification and Succeed as a Pharmacy Technician
When you train with Barber-Scotia College you can gain the knowledge and skills you need to start a rewarding career as a pharmacy technician. With over 35,000 new pharmacy technician jobs* expected nationwide by 2024, you'll be in demand and a valuable member of the healthcare team.
Choose our training for:
- Online flexibility and comprehensive training – Enjoy the flexibility of studying on your own schedule with the confidence of knowing you're gaining all of the skills you need to succeed.
- National certification preparation – Graduate with the skills you need to pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Exam (PTCE) and prove you have the skills employers need.
- Externships with community pharmacies – Our students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and help fulfill their externship requirements through a community pharmacy in their local area like Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy.
With our online Pharmacy Technician training, you can develop the expertise you need to excel in your new field. Call 1-877-225-7151 or request free information today for more details!*U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- What role do pharmacy technicians play?
Pharmacy technicians work in community or institutional facilities and assist pharmacists in formulating, labeling, and dispensing medications. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, about 70% of pharmacy technicians work in a retail setting and about 13% work in hospitals.
- What is the job market for a pharmacy technician?
The pharmacy technician field is a part of the growing healthcare industry, and the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics projects:
- An expanding job market as the field is predicted to grow by 9%, or over 35,000 new jobs, before 2024.
- High demand and good job prospects for pharmacy technicians with formal training or certification.
- A growing number of professionals needed in the field to meet the high demand for prescriptions fueled by an aging population and continued scientific advances.
- How much can I earn as a pharmacy technician?
The U.S. Department of Labor report states that the middle 50% of pharmacy technicians nationwide earn between $24,760 and $37,280 annually. You may also qualify for benefits as a pharmacy technician. The Career Step Pharmacy Technician program (ASHP) prepares students for the national certification exam after graduation, which increases earning potential, marketability, and flexibility.
- Do I need to be certified?
Career Step graduates are prepared for national certification offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). Although certification is not required in all states, certified pharmacy technicians enjoy increased pay, greater marketability, and more flexibility to choose from a wider variety of positions or geographies.
To determine whether your state of residency requires national certification, please refer to your state board of pharmacy's website or our State Requirements pdf.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality healthcare professionals for over 25 years and offers a comprehensive training program that prepares students to work as pharmacy technicians. You will study online, on your own schedule and at your own pace, and with Career Step you know you're getting the right education; the personal, ongoing support; and the resources and guidance you need to turn your education into a job. You'll simultaneously train to work in both community and institutional settings and will be prepared to sit for the national certification exam immediately after graduation. Career Stepís Pharmacy Technician program (ASHP), which is pending ASHP accreditation, also has externship partnerships with community pharmacies such as Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy, which help students fulfill their externship requirements in their local areas.
- What kind of skills or experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- How is the Career Step Pharmacy Technician program structured?
The Career Step program is comprised of online and experiential training, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum on your own schedule and at your own pace. The program is broken into online modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of a pharmacy technician. It also includes a hands-on lab experience as well as an externship at a community pharmacy such as Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy. The final exam of the course is designed to provide an experience similar to that of the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Exam, ensuring that you are as prepared as possible to sit for national certification immediately upon graduation.
- What type of student support does Career Step offer?
Career Step student support includes access to:
- Student Support Instructors and Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the curriculum and the industry. They provide timely answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training to help students master important concepts.
- Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
- Graduate Support Advisors who help you transition to the workforce after graduation. Your Graduate Advisors will help prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and teach you valuable job search techniques.
Though the course is entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's student support team is available to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How soon will I receive my materials?
It takes 2-3 business days to process the application, depending on method of payment. Once the payment is processed you will be emailed your course login and password and can start training immediately. Additional course materials are shipped UPS Ground after the payment is processed. The average wait is about 7-10 days. The lab kit will be shipped after you have completed the Pharmaceutical Calculations module.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Pharmacy Technician training program is 600 completion hours. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students. Some students are able to complete their training program in as little as 4 months (working on the course full-time, 8 hours a day 5 days a week) and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, students who can devote about 15 hours a week may finish in about 10 months).
Every student who enrolls in a Career Step training program receives an initial 12-month period of enrollment. Though the program is designed to be completed in 4 months of full-time study, you'll have a full 12 months to complete your training. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 12-month enrollment, 4-month extensions are available for purchase.
- Is an externship included in the Career Step program?
Career Step has partnered with community pharmacies such as Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy to help our students fulfill their externship requirements in their local areas. After students reach a certain point in the training program, they will be eligible for an externship, which is subject to local availability. Students can begin their externships prior to graduation, providing the opportunity for them to cement the skills they're learning in the course and smoothing the transition from classroom to workplace.
- How do I find work after graduation?
Career Step offers personalized, post-graduation resources for your job search, including:
- Externship opportunity with Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy (available before graduation)
- Personal consultation with a Graduate Advisor
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Access to Career Step's help hotline for six months after graduation
These resources offer the personalized help you need after graduation to transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our graduates are hired within a few months of graduation.
For information on the requirements of each state, please view our State Requirements pdf.
- What materials and computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Your enrollment includes everything you will need to train for a successful pharmacy technician career. Your enrollment includes:
- Access to expert-created curriculum
- A lab kit
- One-on-one help from student support
- Valuable graduate resources
- Complete ebook library
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
Thank you for your inquiry.
We'll contact you soon!