MyCAA 101: Approved (and Not Approved) Ways to Use Your Scholarship Funds

MilitaryCareer AdviceNo Comments

mycaa coverageIn our earlier posts in this series, we’ve shared what MyCAA is, why it exists, and who is eligible to receive those funds. As a military spouse, if you know you have access to $4,000 toward your education through MyCAA, the next crucial step is knowing where those funds can be spent. The MyCAA program outlines specific requirements for MyCAA spending—what the funds can and can’t be used for. Below is a brief summary. For more details and the full list of non-approved items, see the official MyCAA Fact Sheet from Military OneSource.

As an eligible military spouse, you can use MyCAA funding to pay costs of:

- Tuition for education and training courses and examinations leading to an associate degree
- Obtaining a license, certificate, or certification at an accredited college, university, or technical school in the United States
- An approved testing organization that expands employment or portable career opportunities

MyCAA will NOT pay for:

- Tuition for courses and examinations not included in your Education and Training Plan (set up with a MyCAA career counselor)
- Courses previously taken or completed
- Reimbursements of any kind
- Student activities, events, and entertainment
- Fees of any kind, including registration fees, technology fees, parking fees, etc.
- Transportation, lodging, child care, and medical services
- High school completion programs
- Academic credit by examination tests (CLEP)
- Courses taken more than one time, unless MyCAA receives a full refund from the school
- Non-academic credit or ungraded courses
- General studies, liberal arts, and interdisciplinary degrees that do not have a concentration

Be in the Know: Making the Most of MyCAA

To make the best use of your funds and avoid allocating MyCAA money where it can’t be used, be sure to use the complimentary career counseling provided by Military OneSource (the organization that oversees the MyCAA program). Their spouse education and career opportunities (SECO) certified counselors can provide resources ranging from financial planning to goal setting and can help you navigate the dos and don’ts of MyCAA spending. You can reach them at 800-392-9647.

Iris: Where MyCAA Guided Me

As a military spouse and mother, Iris was looking to expand her marketability beyond a high school diploma so she could help provide for her family. She wanted a certification program that would lead her to a mom-friendly career. When she reached out to a career counselor at MyCAA, she was pointed to a program that worked best for her.

“MyCAA guided me to Career Step to further extend my education,” said Iris in a video interview. “I chose to go with the Pharmacy Tech program because (being a) pharmacy technician would definitely give me room to be able to create my own schedule.”

Iris explains further why the lifestyle of pharmacy technician excited her. “It helps me be a soccer mom or a football mom if I wanted to, and not just have to be committed to work, but also balance my family at home.”

Career Step’s MyCAA-Approved Online Certificate Programs

As Iris discovered, Career Step offers flexible online training for in-demand careers that are excellent options for military spouses. We offer a range of options in healthcare, administration, and technology programs that are all MyCAA approved. In fact, the cost of our affordable programs can be completely covered by your MyCAA scholarship! Created for the on-the-go student, these training programs allow you to study at the pace that ensures your success and fits your life—no matter where your spouse is based for their military service.

Want to know more about how you can use MyCAA to further your career? Come back for our upcoming posts, where we’ll take a deeper dive into what the application process looks like and how to rate the quality of a MyCAA-approved certificate program.

Leave a comment below »

  1. Will MYCAA pay for extensions on courses that are currently being taken? I need to finish my MTE program.

  2. Career Step July 09, 2015

    Hi Giovanna,

    Unfortunately, MyCAA funds cannot be used to cover the cost of extensions. MyCAA only covers the initial tuition cost.

    Best wishes!

  3. Sidney February 18, 2016

    Will mycaa pay for the complete cost of an associates degree?

  4. Sidney February 18, 2016

    Also, can I use mycaa for more than one certificate? If a medical billing certificate only costs half of mycaa, can I use the other half on a human resource certoficate?

  5. Career Step February 19, 2016

    Hi Syndey,

    MyCAA can offer up to $4000 off the cost of your tuition, so it all depends on the cost of your associate’s degree program.

    To answer your other question, with MyCAA funding you can only take one certificate course at a time.

    For more information on the MyCAA program, feel free to give one of our Academic Advisors a call at 855-261-7366.

    Best wishes!

  6. Kimberly July 14, 2016

    If my spouse goes becomes an e6 while I’m using the grant does it get taken away and I have to pay it back?

  7. Career Step July 15, 2016

    Hi Kimberly,
    Thank you for reaching out to us! As long as you apply and start your course while you qualify, MyCAA cannot take the funding away or have you leave the program. You will never be required to pay anything back as it is a grant and not a loan.

    I hope this helps and best wishes!

  8. Haley March 27, 2017

    Will I have to pay anything out of pocket when I start a program with MyCAA?

  9. Career Step March 30, 2017

    Hi Haley,
    Thank you for reaching out to us. You will only have out of pocket costs if you want to receive the hard copy books or if you do not have enough funding to cover the cost of the program.

    Hope this answers your question.

  10. Shalimar April 03, 2017

    Can i use my MYCAA to fund for a bachelors’s degree?

  11. Career Step April 03, 2017

    Hi Shalimar,
    We suggest contacting Military One with questions regarding MyCAA funding. You can reach them at
    or 800-342-9647.

    Hope this helps!



Request Info