MyCAA: The Key for Military Spouses Starting a Career
Many military spouses give up on pursuing a rewarding career because they feel they can’t make it jive with their family’s military lifestyle. Are you a military spouse? Sweep all disparaging thoughts aside: it IS possible to enjoy a fulfilling family life and satisfying career with a little hard work, an online program, and MyCAA—free tuition for your education.
What is MyCAA?
MyCAA makes career training for military spouses possible. It is a career advancement, education, and employment assistance program just for military wives and husbands. Eligible military spouses can apply for tuition financial assistance up to $4,000 to pursue a license, certificate, or associate degree. In order to be MyCAA-approved, the program must be in a high-growth, high-demand, and portable (easily transferable) field.
The aid does not end there: MyCAA is an all-encompassing assistance program that includes counseling, employment assistance, and career services to help you succeed.
What’s the process?
1. Determine whether or not you are eligible (spouses of active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and National Guard service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2).
2. Create a MyCAA account on the MyCAA website: https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa.
3. Select a MyCAA-approved training program at an approved school such as Career Step.
4. Submit an “Education and Training Plan” from your school.
5. Apply for the course/enroll in the program.
6. Submit your request for financial assistance through the MyCAA website within 30 days of the course start date.
7. Work hard in your course and don’t worry! MyCAA’s electronic invoicing system will pay the school directly.
Why Career Step?
Career Step is a MyCAA-approved school that offers career training programs suited to the military lifestyle. As Brittany Emerine, a military wife and Career Step Pharmacy Technician student, puts it, “I knew Career Step was the perfect fit for my life.” Here’s why over 15,000 other military spouses in addition to Brittany have also chosen Career Step:
- Training is online and can be completed according to your needs and schedule.
- Career Step has established relationships with employers and helps students find jobs and externships.
- Certifications are in portable fields like medical transcription, medical coding and billing, pharmacy tech, and more.
- The courses are career-oriented and provide real-world experience.
- Personalized coaching helps students with their coursework.
- Graduate support and resources help military spouses find jobs in portable fields after graduation.
- Career Step has partnered with a community college to offer programs with up to 90% tuition discounts to military families who don’t qualify for MyCAA.
- MyCAA students get a free laptop upon enrollment for an enhanced learning experience.
Thousands of military spouses have achieved what they never thought possible—a career—thanks to MyCAA and online training. Check out these MyCAA-approved programs and get started today.