ENDS NOV 24: Get a free laptop and FREE TEXTBOOKS when you enroll by November 24!Enroll Online »
Executive Assistant Job Description and Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as an Executive Assistant?
Administrative assisting and executive assisting is one of the largest occupations nationwide, and in this field, you'll play an important role in keeping an office running smoothly. The job description of an administrative or executive assistant may vary from position to position, but the duties usually involve the following:
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the office
- Organizing and maintaining files and records
- Planning and scheduling meetings and appointments
- Managing projects and conducting research
- Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, and presentations
- Making travel and guest arrangements
- Providing quality customer service
- Working in a professional environment
Administrative assistants and executive assistants can be found working in schools, government agencies, and corporate settings across a broad range of industries.
How Much Can I Make as an Executive Assistant?
As in any other industry, administrative assistant and executive assistant pay rates vary by employer, specific position, geographic location, and experience. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of administrative assistants earn between $25,350 and $39,440 a year.
With Career Step, you'll have the knowledge and skills to maximize your job opportunities and earning potential through certification. With training in either Microsoft Office 2010 or 2007, you'll be prepared to earn the Microsoft Office Specialist Master credential, proving your skills and experience to employers.
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
Make an online program work for you! Check out our 5 student-tested study tips for staying motivated and productive as an online student.
Learn how to be great study buddy—whether you’re studying online or on-campus! Our infographic will also give you tips on how to choose the perfect study buddy.
Employment Focused Training
"The training you get from Career Step is just like the work you will receive when you start working." See More Reasons »
"The Career Step program is well-designed . . . Step by step, it leads the student through learning . . ." See More Reasons »
- "Career Step gave me the training I needed to confidently begin a new career . . . Within a month of graduation I was hired and feel that every day I have used the knowledge gained from Career Step. Thanks for an excellent course!" Read More Reviews »
- "Overall, I was very pleased with everything that Career Step had to offer. I was attracted to Career Step because I am a military spouse, and I was looking for a new career that would be easy to transfer, as my family transfers from one base to another. . . . As a new graduate, I look forward to all the new opportunities that Career Step has opened up to me." Read More Reviews »
- "I was able to get a job within 3 weeks of graduating, which was largely related to the Career Step name on my resume. I have talked to people and read that many new grads from other schools are looking for work for 4 to 6 months. I love my job and, while I am still learning the details of the job, I was well prepared for the work!" Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to start a new career. Thanks to the intense course, I feel confident in starting my new career. . . . I know I would not be able to do this work if your course had not been so complete." Read More Reviews »
- "The experience with Career Step was a wonderful one. I was working two jobs and raising my newborn son while taking these courses, and the program is so convenient that even I was able to find the appropriate time." Read More Reviews »
Big Bang for Your Buck
"I definitely got my money’s worth with Career Step…" See More Reasons »
- "I couldn't be happier with the Career Step program. The course material was so thorough, and it was presented in a way that was really easy to understand on your own." Read More Reviews »
- "I was always very skeptical when it came to taking courses online. I always felt that it would be better to be in a classroom environment, but when I started Career Step, boy did I get comfortable quick. I was amazed at how much support was there for me, and I sure did use it. The student support team was always there to listen to me and encourage me and help me get my mind back on track. . . . They helped me with anything and everything . . . WOW! Thank you so much, Career Step!" Read More Reviews »
- "I was very fortunate to find a job . . . within the first month. While I found the course to be exactly what it was advertised to be and I was very pleased with the training I received, I cannot say enough about Graduate Support! I was not expecting the level of involvement with my job search that Career Step provided. In my opinion, Career Step does not consider you to have completed the course until you have found employment!" Read More Reviews »