Work at Home as a Medical Transcriptionist
Study with Greenfield Community College and gain the skills you need to start a rewarding work-at-home career as a medical transcriptionist.
Choose our training for:
- Employer-trusted curriculum – Our training ensures you gain the skills employers are looking for. Employers trust our curriculum so much that they'll often waive experience requirements when hiring our graduates.
- Preparation for the future of the industry – With our Medical Transcription Editor program you'll learn medical transcription and medical editing, preparing you for the future of the industry and making you more flexible after graduation.
- AHDI-approved training – The Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity has approved our training program and certified that our course prepares you for successful employment.
- One-on-one instructor and graduate support – With one-on-one access to dedicated instructors with years of professional experience in addition to graduate advisors to help you turn your education into a job, you'll have the help you need to succeed.
Our online Medical Transcription Editor course is among the very best. Don't compromise on your education! Call 1-877-225-7151 or request free information today for more details!
- What is medical transcription?
Medical transcription offers you the opportunity to have a real at-home career in the growing medical industry. The field currently includes 2 important roles:
- Medical transcriptionists type the audio dictations of doctor-patient interactions, creating the reports that make up patients' medical records.
- Medical transcription editors—specialized medical transcriptionists—correct and edit dictation reports created by speech recognition software, which electronically translates dictations into text.
With Career Step you can train for both of these career paths, work from the comfort of your home, and prepare for the future of the industry.
- What is the job market for a medical transcriptionist?
Medical transcription is part of the rapidly growing healthcare industry, and medical transcription employers regularly ask Career Step for more graduates to fill their entry-level positions. Career Step training is well-known and well-respected within the medical transcription industry, particularly by employers. Most medical transcription companies require job applicants to have several years of experience, but because Career Step's curriculum is so thorough and trusted, many companies are willing to waive the experience requirement for Career Step graduates. Over 700 companies have hired Career Step graduates and the vast majority are hired within a few months of graduation.
- How much can I earn as a medical transcriptionist and editor?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report states that the middle 50% of medical transcription professionals earn between $27,240 and $39,820 a year. However, it is important to remember that the majority of transcriptionists are paid on a production basis, which offers the opportunity to earn more as you become more familiar with the work, when you work more often, and if you increase your speed or efficiency.
- Do I need to be certified?
The Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) maintains two industry credentials, the Registered Healthcare Documentation Specialist (RHDS) credential and the Certified Healthcare Documentation Specialist (CHDS) credential. The RHDS exam is designed for entry-level medical transcriptionists, and the CHDS exam is designed for medical transcriptionists who have two years of experience working in acute care within the industry.
Very few industry employers require these credentials as a prerequisite to employment, and while your graduation from a Career Step program will not award you either credential, graduates who have taken the exams have generally done well as Career Step's training programs help students build a solid foundational understanding of the medical transcription profession.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been a leader in medical transcription education for over 20 years and offers one of the most comprehensive medical transcription editor training programs in the industry. You will study online, on your own schedule and at your own pace. Career Step's training also includes hundreds of authentic dictations from healthcare providers so that students have real-world experience when they graduate. With Career Step you know you're getting the right education; personal, ongoing support; and the resources and guidance you need to turn your education into a job.
- Is Career Step AHDI approved?
The Career Step Medical Transcription training program is certified and approved by the Approval Committee for Certificate Programs (ACCP), which is a joint committee established by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) and the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
At this time, AHDI does not have an approval process for medical transcription editing specific courses; however, the AHDI-approved Medical Transcription curriculum is the foundation of the Medical Transcription Editor program.
- What is the difference between the Medical Transcription Editor and the Medical Transcription programs?
Career Step's Medical Transcription Editor program is the school's premier training option for those interested in preparing for a career in the medical transcription field. This program includes 640 hours of curriculum and teaches you to be both a medical transcriptionist and a medical transcription editor. This dual skill set is becoming more and more important to employers as a greater number of healthcare providers are using speech recognition technology. This technology will never be able to create reports at the high level of accuracy needed without input from well-trained medical transcription editors, so employers are looking for individuals with the skills to quickly and efficiently edit the computer-generated reports into the final medical records. Gaining both of these skills sets makes you more flexible as you look for a job after graduation and prepares you for the future of the industry.
The Medical Transcription program includes 570 hours of curriculum and teaches students everything they need to know to have a successful medical transcription career. Students learn the skills of a high-quality medical transcriptionist but do not have the added advantage of editing-specific training.
- What is the difference between the Medical Transcription Editor and the Medical Transcription Editor supplement programs?
Career Step has developed two Medical Transcription Editor programs to provide speech recognition training that meets the needs of both new students and already-trained medical transcriptionists.
The full Medical Transcription Editor program is a career-focused course designed for students without medical transcription knowledge and skills. This course prepares them for a career as either a medical transcriptionist or a medical transcription editor.
The Medical Transcription Editor supplemental program is designed for those who have a solid foundation of medical transcription knowledge and skills. This program focuses solely on the specialized speech recognition editing skill set. We strongly recommend you take our short Medical Transcription Editor Skills Evaluation exam before deciding if the supplemental program is the best option for you.
- How are the Career Step programs structured?
The Career Step programs are offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum on your own schedule and at your own pace. The programs are broken into modules, or course subjects, with the first half devoted to building your knowledge base while the second half is an extensive practicum designed to help you gain the practical experience you need to smoothly transition into the workplace after graduation.
- How much practice transcription is included in the programs?
There are 41 hours of real-life doctor dictations included in the Medical Transcription program and the medical transcription section of the Medical Transcription Editor program. These dictations cover a wide variety of medical specialties as well as the full spectrum of doctor accents and dictation style. The Medical Transcription Editor program also includes 16 hours of additional dictation in the editing practicum section.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Medical Transcription Editor program is estimated at 640 completion hours and the Medical Transcription training program is estimated at 570 completion hours. Since the programs are completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students. Some students are able to complete their 640 hour training program in as little as 4 months (working on the course full-time, 8 hours a day 5 days a week) and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, students who can devote about 20 hours a week may finish the 640 hour MTE program in about 8 months).
Every student who enrolls in a Career Step training program receives an initial 4-month period of enrollment. Though the programs are designed to be completed in 4 months of full-time study, you'll have a full year to complete your training. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial one-year enrollment, we have 4-month extensions available for purchase.
- What computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x *
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)*
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)*
*The Medical Transcription Editor program includes a third party software tool that makes the training only compatible with Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer 7.x, 8.x., or 9.x.
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
Thank you for your inquiry.
We'll contact you soon!
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
Learn how to be great study buddy—whether you’re studying online or on-campus! Our infographic will also give you tips on how to choose the perfect study buddy.
Make an online program work for you! Check out our 5 student-tested study tips for staying motivated and productive as an online student.
- "Career Step has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to start a new career. Thanks to the intense course, I feel confident in starting my new career. . . . I know I would not be able to do this work if your course had not been so complete." Read More Reviews »
- "We've hired a number of Career Step graduates, and we've been very happy with the quality of the work that they've done at our organization. We love the way that the program tests and evaluates them along the process, and it's really helped us select those who are really shining stars." Read More Reviews »
- "I researched schools for two years before signing up for the Medical Billing and Coding course with Career Step. I wanted to make sure I received training from a school that would set me apart from other candidates. . . . I have noticed that recruiters are highly impressed with my skills, and even though I recently graduated, I have several job opportunities in the works! . . . Thank you Career Step!" Read More Reviews »
- "I love Career Step! When I enrolled, I thought that this was going to be a hard, lonely road. I was wrong. When I enrolled, I joined a team and gained a family. I was never alone. If I needed help or had a question, all I had to do was email student support or post on the forum. Everybody was so friendly and knowledgeable. They always gave you the feeling that they were only there for one reason—to see you succeed." Read More Reviews »
- "I never thought an online teaching program would work for me, but . . . it taught me the discipline needed to be successful in the industry. I am looking forward to working in this field very much. Thank you!" Read More Reviews »