Find Your Rewarding New Career as a Medical Administrative Assistant
When you train with Ivy Tech Corporate College you can be prepared for a successful career as a medical administrative assistant in as little as 3 months. There are over 189,200 new medical administrative assistant jobs* expected nationwide by 2022—start training today to take advantage of these opportunities!
Choose our training for:
- Comprehensive, streamlined training – Develop the specialized knowledge and skills you need to succeed in as little as 3 months.
- Preparation for industry certification – Graduate prepared to earn your Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) credential and prove you have the skills employers need.
- One-on-one instructor support – Train with the confidence of knowing that experienced instructors are available by phone, email, or chat all along the way.
With our online Medical Administrative Assistant training you'll have the specialized training you need to excel in your new field. Call 1-877-225-7151 or request free information today for more details!*U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- What role do medical administrative assistants play?
Within the large and growing healthcare industry, medical administrative assistants play a key role in keeping everything running smoothly. Their specific responsibilities vary from location to location but often include:
- Managing the day-to-day operations of a medical facility
- Updating and organizing medical records
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments
- Verifying patient insurance
- Completing and submitting insurance claims
- Providing quality customer service to patients
Medical administrative assistants can be found working in doctors' offices, hospitals, outpatient clinics, and a variety of other medical facilities.
- What is the job market for a medical administrative assistant?
Medical administrative assistants can be found working in doctors' offices, hospitals, outpatient clinics, and a variety of other medical facilities. There are opportunities nationwide, and the U.S. Department of Labor estimates that the demand for medical administrative assistants will grow by 36%, or by 189,200 new jobs, before 2022.
- How much can I earn as a medical administrative assistant?
The U.S. Department of Labor report states that the middle 50% of medical administrative assistants nationwide earn between $26,060 and $37,740 annually. You may also qualify for benefits as a medical administrative assistant.
- Do I need to be certified?
Career Step helps prepare you for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). Though this certification is not required for employment, earning this credential increases your job opportunities and earning potential as well as proving a level of professionalism to your potential employers.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality healthcare professionals for over 20 years and offers a comprehensive training program that prepares students to work as medical administrative assistants. With Career Step, you can train affordably without sacrificing quality, learn from comprehensive curriculum developed by industry professionals, take advantage of live student and graduate support, and quickly gain the specialized skills and business knowledge you need to succeed as a medical administrative assistant. We're committed to helping you achieve your goals, and Career Step provides everything you need to succeed!
- What kind of skills or experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- How is the Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant program structured?
The Career Step program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum on your own schedule and at your own pace. The program is broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of a medical administrative assistant. The final exam of the course is designed to provide an experience similar to that of the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant training program is 200 completion hours. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students. Some students are able to complete their training program in as little as 2 or 3 months and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, students who can devote about 10 hours a week may finish in about 5 months).
Every student who enrolls in the Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant training program receives an initial 6-month period of enrollment. Though the program is designed to be completed in 3 months of full-time study, you'll have a full 6 months to complete your training. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-month enrollment, we have 3-month extensions available for purchase.
- What computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
Thank you for your inquiry.
We'll contact you soon!