Launch Your Professional Career in Medical Billing
Choose Maricopa Corporate College and take the first step toward your new professional career in medical billing. As a crucial part of the rapidly expanding healthcare industry, medical billing is expected to add over 41,100 new jobs* by 2022.
Trust our training for:
- Comprehensive, streamlined training – Start your professional career in the medical billing field in as little as 3 months with training specifically designed to help you start working.
- Expert-designed curriculum – Develop your career skills with curriculum that incorporates feedback from industry employers and that was built by experienced industry professionals.
- One-on-one instructor support – With experienced instructors available by phone, email, and chat, it's like having your own personal tutor as you progress through the course.
With our online Medical Billing training, you can develop the specialized skills you need to excel in your new career. Call 1-877-225-7151 or request free information today for more details!*U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- What is medical billing?
Medical billing is crucial to the business of healthcare. A facility or practice would be out of business very quickly without medical billers to handle the reimbursement process for all services provided. After medical coders have assigned standardized codes to all diagnoses, tests, treatments, and procedures, medical billing professionals use these codes to compile and submit the claim to the insurance company and then subsequently bill the patient. Though specific responsibilities vary from location to location, medical billers typically see a claim all the way through payment, managing claim denials and handling all appeals if necessary.
- What is the job market for medical billers?
Medical billers can be found working in a variety of healthcare facilities, including hospitals, clinics, doctors' offices, skilled nursing facilities, and home health agencies, among others. Positions can also be found in insurance companies and specialized medical billing outsourcing companies. The U.S. Department of Labor estimates that this field will grow by 22% between 2012 and 2022, which equates to over 41,100 new jobs.
- How much can I earn as a medical biller?
The U.S. Department of Labor report states that the middle 50% of medical billing professionals nationwide earn between $26,280 and $43,410 annually. You may also qualify for traditional employment benefits as a medical biller.
- Do I have to be certified?
Certification is not required for employment. There are very few medical billing certifications available, and employers look more closely at education and hands-on experience.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality professionals for over 20 years and offers a comprehensive training program that prepares students to work as medical billing professionals. With Career Step, you can train affordably without sacrificing quality, learn from comprehensive curriculum developed by industry professionals, take advantage of live student and graduate support, and quickly gain the specialized skills you need to succeed as a medical biller. We're committed to helping you achieve your goals, and Career Step provides everything you need to succeed!
- What is the difference between the Medical Billing program and Career Step's other Medical Coding and Billing training programs?
Medical coders and billers work closely together, and their jobs are interrelated. In the reimbursement process, medical coders take a patient's medical record and assign standardized codes to diagnoses, tests, treatments, and procedures. After these codes are assigned, medical billers use this data to compile and submit claims for payment. Medical coding requires an understanding of clinical terms and concepts in addition to complex code sets. Medical billers must be more finance oriented.
Career Step has a number of training programs to prepare students for either of these career fields. The Professional Medical Coding and Billing program is designed to prepare students to be medical coders. These programs include a lot of education on medical coding and an overview of basic billing concepts. The Medical Billing program prepares students for careers as specialized medical billers. Students learn all of the ins and outs of billing with a brief introduction to coding. Determining the right training program depends on your career goals.
- What kind of skills and experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- How is the Career Step Medical Billing program structured?
The Career Step Medical Billing program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum on your own schedule and at your own pace. The program is broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of a medical biller.
- What type of student support does Career Step offer?
Career Step student support includes access to:
- Student Support Instructors and Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the curriculum and the industry. They provide timely answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training to help students master important concepts.
- Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
- Graduate Support Advisors who help you transition to the workforce after graduation. Your Graduate Advisors will help prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and teach you valuable job search techniques.
Though the course is entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's student support team is available to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Medical Billing training program is 145 completion hours. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students. Some students are able to complete their training program in as little as 1 or 2 months and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, students who can devote about 10 hours a week may finish in about 4 months).
Every student who enrolls in the Career Step Medical Billing training program receives an initial 6-month period of enrollment. Though the program is designed to be completed in 3 months of full-time study, you'll have a full 6 months to complete your training. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-month enrollment, we have 3-month extensions available for purchase.
- How do I find work after graduation?
Career Step offers personalized, post-graduation resources for your job search, including:
- Personal consultation with a Graduate Advisor
- New job opening notifications
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Access to Career Step's help hotline for six months after graduation
These resources offer the personalized help you need after graduation to transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our graduates are hired within a few months of graduation.
- What materials and computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Your enrollment includes everything you will need to train for a successful career in medical coding and billing. Your enrollment includes:
- Access to expert-created curriculum
- 5-volume text companion series of textbooks
- One-on-one help from student and technical support
- Valuable graduate resources
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
Thank you for your inquiry.
We'll contact you soon!
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
- "We've hired a number of Career Step graduates, and we've been very happy with the quality of the work that they've done at our organization. We love the way that the program tests and evaluates them along the process, and it's really helped us select those who are really shining stars." Read More Reviews »
- "I never thought an online teaching program would work for me, but . . . it taught me the discipline needed to be successful in the industry. I am looking forward to working in this field very much. Thank you!" Read More Reviews »
- "I researched schools for two years before signing up for the Medical Billing and Coding course with Career Step. I wanted to make sure I received training from a school that would set me apart from other candidates. . . . I have noticed that recruiters are highly impressed with my skills, and even though I recently graduated, I have several job opportunities in the works! . . . Thank you Career Step!" Read More Reviews »
- "I love Career Step! When I enrolled, I thought that this was going to be a hard, lonely road. I was wrong. When I enrolled, I joined a team and gained a family. I was never alone. If I needed help or had a question, all I had to do was email student support or post on the forum. Everybody was so friendly and knowledgeable. They always gave you the feeling that they were only there for one reason—to see you succeed." Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to start a new career. Thanks to the intense course, I feel confident in starting my new career. . . . I know I would not be able to do this work if your course had not been so complete." Read More Reviews »