- Expand Your Resume
- Get Access to More Jobs
- Prepare for the Future of the Industry
- All for Only $695
Get Started TodayEnroll Online
Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing FAQs
Get answers to the most common and important questions about enrolling in the Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing program at Career Step. Our FAQs section provides answers to help you make an informed decision about your education.
- What is the difference between the Medical Transcription Editor and the Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing programs?
Career Step has developed two Medical Transcription Editor programs to provide speech recognition training that meets the needs of both new students and already-trained medical transcriptionists.
The full Medical Transcription Editor program is a career-focused course designed for students without medical transcription knowledge and skills. This course prepares them for a career as a medical transcriptionist or a medical transcription editor.
The Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing program is designed for those who already have a solid foundation of medical transcription knowledge and skills. This program focuses solely on the specialized speech recognition editing skill set. We strongly recommend you take our short Medical Transcription Editor Skills Evaluation exam before deciding if the supplemental program is the best option for you.
- Do I need any prior qualifications to take the Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing program?
The Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing program assumes that you have a solid foundation of medical transcription knowledge and skills. We strongly recommend you take our short Medical Transcription Editor Skills Evaluation exam to assess whether you are a candidate for this supplemental program.
- How is our Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing program structured?
The Career Step program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum at a pace that fits your busy lifestyle. The program is broken into modules, or course subjects, and is designed to help you gain the practical experience you need to expand your resume in just a few weeks.
- What type of student support does Career Step offer?
Career Step's student support has several levels and is designed to ensure that you're not alone as you work through the online course.
Student Support Instructors and Advisors have professional experience in the industry and provide timely answers to questions about the program material.
Technical Support Advisors are available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training.
Though the course is entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's student support team is available to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How much practice dictation is included in the programs?
There are 16 hours of real-life doctor dictations included in the Career Step training program. This dictation provides you the opportunity to work hands-on with speech recognition files from a variety of medical specialties. This practicum section of the course includes training with M*Modal speech recognition software*.* M*Modal is a trademark of Multimodal Technologies, Inc.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing program offers over 100 hours of curriculum, including 16 hours of real-life dictation in the practicum section. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study at a pace your busy lifestyle allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students.
Every student who enrolls in a Career Step training program receives an initial 4-month period of enrollment If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial enrollment, we have extensions available for purchase, please call 1-800-246-7837 for details.
- What computer specifications are required to complete the course?
We recommend the following computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 9.x/10.x/11.x
- Firefox 3.x or greater*
- Safari 3.1 to 8.0 (Mac only)*
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)*
- Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) is not currently compatible
*The Career FastTrack: Medical Transcription Editing course includes a third party software tool that makes the training only compatible with Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer.
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
Read Kristin Choate's story »
Read Linda Berge's story »
Read Traci Martin's story »
Read Jessica Christiansen's story »