Graduate Prepared For The Future of Healthcare As A Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR
Train with Northern New Mexico College to prepare for a successful career as a medical administrative assistant with EHR expertise. Average salaries are $34,000/yr, and there are over 64,000 new jobs* expected nationwide by 2024 for medical administrative assistants—start training today to take advantage of these opportunities!
Choose our training for:
- Hands-on experience – The course includes hands-on training with ezEMRx software, an industry-standard, government-certified EHR software platform to ensure you have the experience employers need.
- National certification preparation – Graduate ready to earn the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) credentials—you'll even receive 2 exam vouchers to earn these credentials upon graduation (a $210 value)!
- One-on-one instructor support – Train with the confidence of knowing that experienced instructors are available by phone, email, or chat all along the way.
With our online Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR training you'll have the specialized training you need to excel in your new field in as little as 3 months. Call 1-877-225-7151 or request free information today for more details!*U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- What role do medical administrative assistants play?
Medical administrative assistants are the specialized administrative personnel who keep the modern medical office running smoothly, especially as electronic health records are becoming more common. Your specific responsibilities would vary from location to location, but may include:
- Creating and updating patients' electronic health records
- Managing the day-to-day operations of a medical facility
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments
- Verifying patient insurances
- Completing and submitting insurance claims
- Preparing correspondence between medical providers and their patients
- Providing quality customer service to patients
- Working in a professional environment
Medical administrative assistants can be found working in a variety of healthcare facilities, and the demand for those with EHR expertise will only increase as electronic health records become more standard. Positions can be found in doctors' offices, hospitals, outpatient clinics, and many other types of healthcare facilities.
- What is the job market for medical administrative assistants?
Medical administrative assistants can be found working in a variety of healthcare facilities, and the demand for those with EHR expertise will only increase as electronic health records become more standard. There are opportunities nationwide, and the U.S. Department of Labor estimates that the demand for medical administrative assistants will grow by 21%, or over 64,000 new jobs, before 2024.
- How much can I earn as a medical administrative assistant?
The U.S. Department of Labor report states that the middle 50% of medical administrative assistants nationwide earn between $27,070 and $39,540 annually. You may also qualify for benefits as a medical administrative assistant.
- Do I need to be certified?
The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program helps prepare you for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) credentials offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). Though these certifications are not required for employment, earning these credentials increases your job opportunities and earning potential while also proving a high level of professionalism to your potential employers, and vouchers to take the exams (a $210 value) are even included upon graduation to make it even easier to earn your credentials.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality healthcare professionals for over 20 years and offers comprehensive training that prepares students to work as medical administrative assistants. With Career Step, you can train affordably without sacrificing quality, learn from comprehensive curriculum developed by industry professionals, take advantage of live student and graduate support, and—with the Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program—quickly gain the specialized EHR skills you need to be prepared for the future of healthcare. We're committed to helping you achieve your goals, and Career Step provides everything you need to succeed!
- What kind of skills or experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- How are the Career Step medical administrative assistant programs structured?
The Career Step programs are offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum on your own schedule and at your own pace. Both programs are broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of medical administrative assistants. The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program also includes hands-on training on the industry-standard, government-certified ezEMRx EHR software platform. The final exams of both courses are designed to provide an experience similar to that of industry certification exams. The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program prepares students to sit for both the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) exams, while the Medical Administrative Assistant program prepares students to sit for the CMAA exam.
- What type of student support does Career Step offer?
Career Step student support includes access to:
Student Support Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the curriculum and the industry. They provide timely answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training to help students master important concepts.
Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
Graduate Support Advisors who help you transition to the workforce after graduation. Your Graduate Advisors will help prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and teach you valuable job search techniques.
Though the course is entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's student support team is available to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR training program is 285 completion hours, and the Medical Administrative Assistant program is 200 completion hours. Since the programs are completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students. Some students are able to complete their training program in as little as 2 or 3 months (working on the course full-time, 8 hours a day 5 days a week) and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, students who can devote about 15 hours a week may finish in about 5 months).
Every student who enrolls in one of the Career Step medical administrative assistant programs receives an initial 6-month period of enrollment. Though the program is designed to be completed in 3 months of full-time study, you'll have a full 6 months to complete your training. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-month enrollment, we have 3-month extensions available for purchase.
- How do I find work after graduation?
Career Step offers personalized, post-graduation resources for your job search, including:
- Personal consultation with a Graduate Advisor
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Free certification exam voucher(s) upon graduation (depends on program of study)
- Access to Career Step's help hotline for 6 months after graduation
These resources offer the personalized help you need after graduation to transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our graduates are hired within a few months of graduation.
- What materials and computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Your enrollment includes everything you will need to train for a successful career as a medical administrative assistant. Your enrollment includes:
- Access to expert-created curriculum
- Technical support
- One-on-one help from student support
- Valuable graduate resources
- Complete ebook library
- Free certification exam voucher(s) upon graduation (depends on program of study)
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x*
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)*
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)*
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
Thank you for your inquiry.
We'll contact you soon!