Referral Program FAQ
- 1. Can I receive an automatic notification when someone I refer enrolls?
We have a new resource called the Referral Dashboard, which allows referrers to track their referral efforts. Referrers can create a Referral Dashboard account at referral.careerstep.com/dashboard using your Referrer ID and your email address. You are able to view how many individuals have requested information from Career Step (leads) and the individuals who have enrolled in one of our programs (enrollments). If you have any trouble with the Referral Dashboard or have a suggestion you would like to make, feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2. I have a friend who is interested in taking one of your programs. What do I need to do to refer her? Do I have to fill out any forms?
If you have not already done so, officially sign-up for our Referral program at www.referral.careerstep.com. This is a very simple sign-up process that only takes a minute or two. You will then receive an email with your specific referrer ID and a link to your unique referral webpage.
This webpage is where you should send any interested friends (notice that it has your name and referrer ID on it). This page is embedded with your information, so when someone fills out the form requesting more information you’ll automatically be listed in our system as their referrer. Whenever someone enrolls after requesting information from your webpage, you’ll receive the referral commission.
Your contacts can also call 1-800-411-7073 to get more information or enroll, but they'll need to be sure to mention your name and referrer ID in order for you to be given credit.
- 3. I lost my referrer ID and the link to my referral webpage, how do I get that information?
Send an email to email@example.com with your name and request or give us a call at 1-800-246-7837 and ask for the Referral Program Manager.
- 4. One of my friends is interested in enrolling; do I just provide her my student ID number to make sure I receive referral credit?
In order to make sure you receive referral credit, your friend will need to provide your referrer ID number. Each referrer is assigned a referrer ID number that is different from their student ID number. You should have received this number in an email welcoming you to the Referral program when you enrolled with Career Step or signed up for the Referral program. If you cannot locate that email, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and request or give us a call at 1-800-246-7837 and ask for the Referral Program Manager.
- 5. I just moved, how do I update my address for the referral payouts?
Send an email to email@example.com with your name and updated address or give us a call at 1-800-246-7837 and ask for the Referral Program Manager.
- 6. Someone I referred enrolled last week, but they forgot to mention that I was the person who referred them. Can I still get credit for referring them?
Yes, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the contact information of the student you referred or give us a call at 1-800-246-7837 and ask for the Referral Program Manager.
- 7. How long will it be before I will see a check for my referral?
Referral payout checks are typically mailed around the 20th of the month following the enrollment, so if your friend enrolled in August, you would receive a check near the end of September for that referral. If you have any trouble receiving your check, send an email to email@example.com or give us a call at 1-800-246-7837 and ask for the Referral Program Manager.
- 8. Is there a promotion this month for the Referral program?
You can find the most up-to-date information on the promotions we’re running for referrers and new students on our Referral Blog.
- 9. What will I receive if someone I refer to Career Step enrolls?
Our standard referral payout is:
- $100 per enrollment for 1-2 enrollments a month
- $200 per enrollment for 3-4 enrollments a month
- $250 per enrollment for 5+ enrollments a month
So if you referred someone in August, you would receive $100. If you referred 3 people in September, you would receive $600 ($200 for each enrollment). And then if you had a great month in October and referred 5 people, you would receive $1,250 ($250 for each referral).
We occasionally run special promotions for referrers that may increase what you would receive. All of the details are available on our Referral Blog.
- 10. Will I qualify for a referral payout if I refer someone who enrolls with one of Career Step's academic partners?
Unfortunately, when your referral enrolls through one of Career Step's academic partners, Career Step cannot offer a referral payout for these enrollments. We have partnerships with over 150 colleges and universities nationwide that offer our programs through their institutions. However, we are legally prohibited from offering any type of incentivized program for enrollments through these institutions.
- 11. Can individuals I refer take advantage of both the special monthly promotions Career Step offers as well as the free shipping offered for saying I referred them?
Yes! That's the benefit of being referred! Just for coming to Career Step through you, your contacts will be able to take advantage of our special monthly promotion and the free shipping offer.
- 12. I have a friend who is interested in getting more information about Career Step. What’s the best way for her to go about that?
There a few ways your friend can get more information from Career Step and have you listed as her referrer.
- You can send her to your Referral webpage, which you can find at www.referral.careerstep.com/ref10000 if you substitute the last five digits with your referrer ID. If your friend fills out the request information form on your webpage, we will contact them right away to provide more information and answer any questions and you will automatically be listed with their information in our system as the referrer. If your friend enrolls after requesting information from your page you’ll automatically receive the referral commission.
- You can also have your friends call us directly at 1-800-411-7073 to get more information or to enroll. Just tell them to be sure to mention your name and Referrer ID to make sure you get credit for the referral.
- 13. I referred a friend this month so I know you’ll be sending me $100. Can I just apply that amount toward my tuition payments or an extension for my program?
Unfortunately, we are unable to credit referral payouts toward tuition payments or extension purchases as these transactions are processed through separate systems.
- 14. Which Career Step training programs qualify for a payout from the Referral Program?
The Referral Program only offers payouts when individuals you refer to Career Step enroll in one of our career training programs. Qualifying programs include:
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Transcription
- Professional Medical Coding and Billing
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Billing
- Executive Assistant
- Computer Technician
- 15. Do you offer a direct deposit option for referral payouts?
The referral program does not offer direct deposit. All referral payouts are paid by check. These checks are sent out by mail to the address we have on file around the 20th of the month following the enrollment.
- 16. Will I receive tax documents at the end of the year reporting the income I made through the Career Step Referral Program?
If your referral earnings in a given year total $600 or more, you will receive a W-9 form that you will need to fill out and return to Career Step. You will then receive a 1099 form noting your earnings for the year, which you would need to include with your income taxes. The 1099 forms will be mailed out no later than January 31st.
- 17. What resources are available to help improve my referral efforts?
The Career Step Referral Program is designed to help you be successful. We’ve developed a number of resources to help you improve your efforts and earn more.
- Referral Blog – Our Referral Blog includes everything you need to stay up-to-date on all everything going on at Career Step. The blog provides details on available resources, announcements when new resources are available, best practices, current promotions (for both you and your contacts), and much more.
- Your Referrer Webpage – You can find your referrer webpage at www.referral.careerstep.com/ref10000 if you substitute the last five digits with your referrer ID. Sending your contacts to your specific page ensures you get credit for them when they enroll in a qualifying Career Step program.
- Referral Resource Center – In the resource center, you’ll find brochures, web banners, ebooks, an instructional webinar, videos, and more—all to help you better understand Career Step’s courses and provide tools you can use to share them with others.
- 18. Can I incentivize someone to enroll with Career Step?
As a referrer, you are not authorized to offer any incentives--other than the promotions we run as a school--to encourage others to enroll in a Career Step program. Your referrals need to be people who have decided to enroll without any additional incentives from you and who fully intend to work through the entire program.
Free laptop or up to $500 off!Enroll online »
Read Michelle Johnson's story »
Read Kristin Choate's story »
Read Traci Martin's story »
Read Jessica Cumber's story »