We’re thrilled to announce the launch of our newest program—Professional Medical Coding and Billing. This course is replacing both our Inpatient and Outpatient Medical Coding and Billing and the Outpatient Medical Coding and Billing courses. We’ve re-built the curriculum to ensure students are prepared for the new reality of the medical coding industry.
Currently, medical coders use 3 code sets: CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-9. Starting on October 1, 2014 all healthcare facilities and physicians must start using ICD-10 codes in order to be reimbursed. This means that those new to the industry need to start training on the ICD-10 codes so they are prepared to start working when they graduate. With our new training, we’re now starting new students out with ICD-10 training right away (rather than preparing them for ICD-9 and then supplementing ICD-10 training as well).
All of this is very technical, and you may be scratching your head wondering how this changes your referral efforts. Well, here are the important take-aways:
- Career Step now offers a single medical coding training program: Professional Medical Coding and Billing
- This program was expert-designed to prepare students for the new ICD-10 code set. It was built by AHIMA-Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainers as well as a number of other experts with decades of experience teaching medical coding.
- This program will be the same price as the old Inpatient and Outpatient Medical Coding and Billing program. Students will receive everything they need to prepare for a new career for $2,795.
- We’ve already updated the content on your unique referrer webpage to reflect the new program. When you direct prospective students to your page, they’ll receive the most up-to-date information.
- There are some new resources for the new program available in the Referral Resource Center, and over the next few weeks and months we’ll be adding more.
We’ve worked hard on this course to ensure students will be gaining the skills they need to pass industry certifications and start working right after graduation. We even have employers who are already using parts of this curriculum to train their own employees! Some of the largest and most respected healthcare employers in the nation, including the leading provider of healthcare services in the U.S. and one of the nation’s largest managed healthcare companies, have chosen Career Step training!
And if you’re a coder yourself and you’re wondering when we’ll have a program you can take to prepare for ICD-10—stay tuned! We have exciting news coming for you in the next month.