Many of our most successful referrers do a lot to spread the word among military spouses because of the MyCAA funding opportunity (eligible military spouses can have their training costs completely covered—check out our MyCAA ebook for more details). Military communities are also a great choice because they are tight-knit communities with a variety of communication resources, including specific yard sale and classified sites, which is what we’re going to talk about today.
Yard sale and classified sites are a great way to tell others about Career Step because many people visit them looking for educational and career opportunities. You could even host your own event through MeetUp.com. To help you get started, we’ve put together a list of best practices for you:
- Make sure you obey site rules. Some sites don’t allow posts from those advertising services or products or only allow them in certain sections. Be respectful and make sure you understand the rules before posting.
- Remember that these sites are about community—so be sure to participate! If someone posts a comment or question, post a reply back. Use it as an opportunity to start a conversation, and remember that even people who don’t post questions often read those left by others.
- It’s also important to abide by all of the Terms and Conditions of our Referral Program. For example, you can’t offer incentives to encourage others to enroll other than the promotions we’re officially running for new students—and if you’re talking about these promotions, make sure you understand who does and does not qualify (MyCAA students are often disqualified because of the funding source restrictions).
Wondering what to post? First, keep the golden rule in mind. Put yourself in someone else’s shoes and imagine what you would want to see in a similar post if you were looking. It’s also important to pay attention to the length of your post. You don’t want something too short, but you also don’t want to be too long-winded; provide the details someone needs to decide whether they’d be interested in learning more and then direct them to your referrer webpage.
Here are few fun facts you may want to include if you feel they fit in your post:
- Career Step is one of the top training providers for military spouses, and we’ve trained over 11,000 military spouses.
- Career Step is part of the Department of Defense Military Spouse Employment Partnership.
- Career Step has a high rate of success helping military spouses start working in their chosen fields after graduation.
- The Career Step programs fit perfectly with the MyCAA program goal of helping military spouses train for portable careers.
Have you tried posting to yard sale or classified sites before? Do you have any tips we should add to our list?