OCT ONLY: Get a free iPad or up to $500 off!Enroll Online »
Computer Technician Job Description & Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as a Computer Technician?
As technology is becoming more and more important in our daily lives, there is a growing demand for skilled professionals who can offer quality technical support. Computer technicians fill this need, and while their specific responsibilities can vary from position to position, duties often include:
- Installing hardware and software systems
- Maintaining or repairing equipment
- Troubleshooting a variety of computer issues
- Setting up computer security measures
- Configuring computer networks
- Offering technical support on-site or via phone or email
Computer technicians can be found working in a variety of industries. Possible job opportunities range from a computer technician in a retail electronics store who helps repair hardware or software, to a member of an internal IT team within large and medium sized companies, to a technical support advisor who helps customers over the phone with their computer issues.
How Much Can I Make as a Computer Technician?
Computer technician pay rates vary by employer, geographic location, and experience as in any other field, and you may be able to increase your earning potential by earning the CompTIA A+ certification. With Career Step computer technology training, you can prepare for:
- Competitive salaries – The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of computer technicians earn between $35,790 and $60,400 a year.
- Get certified, earn more – Computer technicians who earn CompTIA A+ certification have access to more job opportunities and may earn more.
- Career Step includes certification prep – Preparation for CompTIA A+ certification is built in to your Career Step training, and your tuition even includes vouchers for both of the exams!
With Career Step, you'll have the knowledge and skills to maximize your earning potential by earning your certification right after graduation.
Make an online program work for you! Check out our 5 student-tested study tips for staying motivated and productive as an online student.
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
Learn how to be great study buddy—whether you’re studying online or on-campus! Our infographic will also give you tips on how to choose the perfect study buddy.
Career Step prepares you to take the CompTIA A+ Certification Exam. Watch Video »
- "Thanks to the quality of my training, the support that I received, and the well-deserved reputation of the Career Step program, I got my first job exactly one month after graduation. Still at it, still learning and still very, very grateful for the knowledge, skills, and support I received with Career Step." Read More Reviews »
- "I couldn't be happier with the Career Step program. The course material was so thorough, and it was presented in a way that was really easy to understand on your own." Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to start a new career. Thanks to the intense course, I feel confident in starting my new career. . . . I know I would not be able to do this work if your course had not been so complete." Read More Reviews »
Big Bang for Your Buck
"I definitely got my money’s worth with Career Step…" See More Reasons »
"The Career Step program is well-designed . . . Step by step, it leads the student through learning . . ." See More Reasons »
- "I love Career Step! When I enrolled, I thought that this was going to be a hard, lonely road. I was wrong. When I enrolled, I joined a team and gained a family. I was never alone. If I needed help or had a question, all I had to do was email student support or post on the forum. Everybody was so friendly and knowledgeable. They always gave you the feeling that they were only there for one reason—to see you succeed." Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step was the best thing that ever happened to me... I love the opportunity that Career Step has given me. The knowledge I have obtained from Career Step can take me anywhere I want to go. They provide the groundwork to a lifelong career." Read More Reviews »
Employment Focused Training
"The training you get from Career Step is just like the work you will receive when you start working." See More Reasons »