Get a free laptop or up to $300 off when you enroll by Nov. 30!Enroll Online »
Computer Technician Job Description & Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as a Computer Technician?
As technology is becoming more and more important in our daily lives, there is a growing demand for skilled professionals (also known as IT technicians) who can offer quality technical support. Computer repair technicians fill this need, and while their specific responsibilities can vary from position to position, their duties often include:
- Installing hardware and software systems
- Maintaining or repairing equipment
- Troubleshooting a variety of computer issues
- Setting up computer security measures
- Configuring computer networks
- Offering technical support on-site or via phone or email
Computer technicians can be found working in a variety of industries. Possible job opportunities range from a computer technician in a retail electronics store who helps repair hardware or software, to a member of an internal IT team within large and medium sized companies, to a computer support technician who helps customers over the phone with their computer issues.
How Much Can I Make as a Computer Technician?
Computer technician pay rates vary by employer, geographic location, and experience as in any other field, and you may be able to increase your earning potential by earning the CompTIA A+ certification. With Career Step computer technology training, you can prepare for:
- Competitive salaries – The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of computer technicians earn between $36,610 and $62,050 a year.
- Get certified, earn more – Computer technicians who earn CompTIA A+ certification have access to more job opportunities and may earn more.
- Career Step includes certification prep – Preparation for CompTIA A+ certification is built in to your Career Step training, and your tuition even includes vouchers for both of the exams!
With Career Step, you'll have the knowledge and skills to maximize your earning potential by earning your certification right after graduation.
Read Carmella Jones's story »
Read Clare Braham's story »
Read Erika Gomm's story »
Read Brittany Emerine's story »