- Work from home
- Train in as little as 4 months at your pace
- Prepare to earn average salaries of $36,000/yr
- All for only $2,995
- FREE certification exam voucher upon graduation!
Free iPad when you enroll by June 30!Enroll Online »
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description & Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as a Medical Transcriptionist?
The medical transcription industry includes medical transcriptionists and medical transcription editors. Career Step training can prepare you for both of these career paths:
- Medical transcriptionists type up written reports of the audio files doctors record after they interact with patients. These written reports are then included in the patient’s medical record.
- Medical transcription editors are specialized medical transcriptionists who correct and edit written reports created by speech recognition software, which automatically translates the doctor’s dictation into text.
Most of these professionals work from home, although there are a few who work on-site for hospitals or clinics. With Career Step training, you can gain the skills you need to work at home in either of these roles, making you more flexible when you’re looking for a medical transcription job.
How Much Can I Make as a Medical Transcriptionist?
Most medical transcriptionists are paid on production, so the more you work the more you can make. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of medical transcriptionists earn between $27,970 and $42,340 a year.
For more information on the Medical Transcription Editor program, download the program brochure:
Read Traci Martin's story »
Read Carmella Jones's story »
Read Carly Mortensen's story »
Read Carrie Verrocchio's story »