OCT ONLY: Get a free iPad or up to $500 off!Enroll Online »
Medical Transcriptionist Training
What Medical Transcriptionist Training Does Career Step Offer?
Career Step offers two online medical transcription training programs:
Medical Transcription Editor
- Career Step's premier online medical transcription training program
- AHDI approved
- One of the first programs to prepare students for speech recognition technology
- Prepares students to be both medical transcriptionists and medical transcription editors
- 640 hours of curriculum and hands-on experience
- One of the nation's leading medical transcription training programs
- Prepares student for careers as medical transcriptionists
- 570 hours of curriculum and hands-on experience
The speech recognition editing training in the Medical Transcription Editor program expands your skill set beyond that of traditional medical transcriptionists, making you more in demand when you're looking for a job.
How Long Will the Training Take?
The medical transcriptionist programs are designed to be completed in 4 months of full-time study. However, the online format allows you to study on your own schedule and at your own pace, so your enrollment includes 12 months of program access in case you need extra time.
What Will I Be Learning?In both of the Career Step medical transcriptionist programs you'll learn:
- Typing skills
- Medical terminology
- Grammar and punctuation
- Anatomy and pharmacology
- Medical record types and formats
- Productivity tips
After establishing a solid knowledge foundation, you'll move to the "practicum" section. In the practicum, you'll develop your transcription (and editing if you're in the Medical Transcription Editor program) skills by practicing on hundreds of authentic doctor dictations and patient records. This hands-on experience will prepare you to transition to the workforce as soon as you graduate.
Want more details about exactly what's included in the programs? Download a brochure or program syllabus to learn more or review the learning objectives for each module.
Medical Transcription Editor Brochure Medical Transcription Editor Syllabus Medical Transcription Syllabus
Check out this video for a quick and easy medical transcription industry overview. Find out why there’s a shortage of well-trained professionals and how you can start your career.
Make an online program work for you! Check out our 5 student-tested study tips for staying motivated and productive as an online student.
Learn how to be great study buddy—whether you’re studying online or on-campus! Our infographic will also give you tips on how to choose the perfect study buddy.
Check out our new infographic!
Are MTs Still Needed?
Get the facts on the medical transcription industry in our infographic! Find out what industry demand looks like, where MTs work, and what you can expect to earn.
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
Fill out the form above to access our free ebook today!
Career Step graduate, Dana, describes her experience with the online school as she chose to study with Career Step as a medical transcriptionist. Watch Video »
- "I was very fortunate to find a job . . . within the first month. While I found the course to be exactly what it was advertised to be and I was very pleased with the training I received, I cannot say enough about Graduate Support! I was not expecting the level of involvement with my job search that Career Step provided. In my opinion, Career Step does not consider you to have completed the course until you have found employment!" Read More Reviews »
- "I just wanted to let you know how pleased we are with the graduates you sent our way. We have been able to hire I believe 5 of them. I am in the process of contacting the others who sent their resumes as we are looking to hire 2 more! Your school does such a good job, we are pleased with the knowledge and professionalism with each one." Read More Reviews »
- "I made it through the course in a little less than a year, and I got hired less than 48 hours after I took the final!! . . . I have many friends who have gone to other schools and are still unemployed. Thankfully, I chose the right school that has a great reputation of producing top-notch students. Career Step really prepared me for employee testing and, ultimately, employment." Read More Reviews »
- "I finished my training with Career Step just a month before my baby was born. I started looking for a job when he was four weeks old and was working when he was six weeks old. I love that my new career gives me the opportunity to stay home with my baby! I was impressed by how easy it was to find work once the employer knew I was trained by Career Step. With the help of this program, I was completely prepared for my new job. I have been recommending them to all of my friends." Read More Reviews »
- "I was concerned that in this economy I was going to have a hard time finding a job after graduating. Also, everyone talks so much about companies not hiring new graduates, but from the day I received my final exam results, it took me 14 days to find a great job! I scored very well on the company test, and I know it was due to my training in the Career Step program!" Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to start a new career. Thanks to the intense course, I feel confident in starting my new career. . . . I know I would not be able to do this work if your course had not been so complete." Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step gave me the training I needed to confidently begin a new career . . . Within a month of graduation I was hired and feel that every day I have used the knowledge gained from Career Step. Thanks for an excellent course!" Read More Reviews »
- "Overall, I was very pleased with everything that Career Step had to offer. I was attracted to Career Step because I am a military spouse, and I was looking for a new career that would be easy to transfer, as my family transfers from one base to another. . . . As a new graduate, I look forward to all the new opportunities that Career Step has opened up to me." Read More Reviews »
- "The experience with Career Step was a wonderful one. I was working two jobs and raising my newborn son while taking these courses, and the program is so convenient that even I was able to find the appropriate time." Read More Reviews »
- "I just have to say that Career Step has TRULY changed my life!! You work so hard for a 2- or 4-year college degree and then are left with no on-the-job experience and no employment when you've graduated. Yet with Career Step, I was able to complete the course in less than a year, had training that left me fully prepared and equipped, and was contacted by a recruiter a few days after graduating!" Read More Reviews »
- "Before Career Step I was enrolled in another medical transcription program. After this first program, I started applying for jobs. I applied for about 3 months and never got past the transcription portion to be interviewed. Finally, feeling frustrated, I enrolled in Career Step. The program did take me more than a year to complete, but I got a job 2 weeks after graduation. This program prepare the student for the real world medical transcription positions. Anyone wanting to secure a job in the medical transcription field should study with Career Step. I wish I had gone through them the first time." Read More Reviews »
- "I was able to get a job within 3 weeks of graduating, which was largely related to the Career Step name on my resume. I have talked to people and read that many new grads from other schools are looking for work for 4 to 6 months. I love my job and, while I am still learning the details of the job, I was well prepared for the work!" Read More Reviews »
- "Thanks to the quality of my training, the support that I received, and the well-deserved reputation of the Career Step program, I got my first job exactly one month after graduation. Still at it, still learning and still very, very grateful for the knowledge, skills, and support I received with Career Step." Read More Reviews »
- "I couldn't be happier with the Career Step program. The course material was so thorough, and it was presented in a way that was really easy to understand on your own." Read More Reviews »
"The Career Step program is well-designed . . . Step by step, it leads the student through learning . . ." See More Reasons »
- "I was always very skeptical when it came to taking courses online. I always felt that it would be better to be in a classroom environment, but when I started Career Step, boy did I get comfortable quick. I was amazed at how much support was there for me, and I sure did use it. The student support team was always there to listen to me and encourage me and help me get my mind back on track. . . . They helped me with anything and everything . . . WOW! Thank you so much, Career Step!" Read More Reviews »
- "We've been so impressed with Career Step and their graduates. Career Step as an organization has always impressed us—they're so top-notch, so on top of this industry. " Read More Reviews »
Employment Focused Training
"The training you get from Career Step is just like the work you will receive when you start working." See More Reasons »
- "When I went for my interview, because of my thorough Career Step training, I was hired on the spot. The company owner was amazed at my transcription skills compared to applications from local schools/colleges. I really like being a medical transcriptionist, and am so excited to have a career where I can work from my home." Read More Reviews »
- "Our company has hired 5 of your graduates and they have all done very well, and I credit your school with this. It is obvious that you prepare them well, as seen in the ease in which they adapt and turn out quality reports. . . . I will continue to hire graduates of Career Step and want you to know that we appreciate the well-rounded education you provide." Read More Reviews »
- "I did not know if I could be effective in this field as a T2 paraplegic. I had a deep desire to be a medical transcriptionist, so I kept positive and just went for it. I am now a medical transcription graduate and looking forward to finding employment. Carry on, and it will be worth all the effort you put forth!" Read More Reviews »
Big Bang for Your Buck
"I definitely got my money’s worth with Career Step…" See More Reasons »
- "I just got hired by a prestigious MT company. I graduated from Career Step 1 month and 12 days before. When I heard that honors graduates, on average, get jobs within a month of graduating, I was very skeptical. . . .Career Step is the main reason I got the job that I did. My new employers said they only hire from Career Step and one other MT program. They are very familiar with the quality of Career Step's training and do not even require testing if you graduated recently. " Read More Reviews »