- Enter a field expected to add 64,000+ jobs
- Train in as little as 3 months at your pace
- Prepare to earn average salaries of $34,000/yr
- All for only $2,695
- See the Top 5 Reasons to Choose Career Step
- Enroll Today: Get an iPad plus FREE textbooks!
Enroll Today: Get an iPad plus FREE textbooks!Enroll Online »
Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR Job Description & Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as a Medical Administrative Assistant?
Medical administrative assistants trained on electronic health record software (EHR specialists) are the specialized administrative personnel who keep the modern medical office administration running smoothly. Job duties of a medical administrative assistant would vary from location to location, but may include:
- Creating and updating patients’ electronic health records
- Managing the day-to-day operations of a medical facility
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments
- Verifying patient insurance
- Completing and submitting insurance claims
- Preparing correspondence between medical providers and their patients
- Providing quality customer service to patients
- Working in a professional environment
Medical administrative assistants can be found working in a variety of healthcare facilities, and the demand for electronic health record specialists will only increase as electronic health records become more standard. Job opportunities can be found in doctors’ offices, hospitals, outpatient clinics, and many other types of healthcare facilities.
How Much Can I Make as a Medical Administrative Assistant?
Medical administrative assistant pay rates vary by employer, geographic location, and experience as in any other field, and you may be able to increase your earning potential by becoming certified.
- Competitive salaries – The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of medical administrative assistants earn between $27,070 and $39,540 a year.
- Get certified, earn more – Earning industry certifications shows employers you’re committed to excellence and is often rewarded by increased salaries. Medical administrative assistants can demonstrate their skills by earning the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) credential, and those with additional EHR training can also take the Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) exam.
- Career Step includes certification prep – Preparation for both the CMAA and CEHRS credentialing exams is built in to the Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program so you graduate ready to hit the ground running.
With Career Step, you'll have the knowledge and skills to maximize your earning potential by earning your certifications right after graduation.
Read Allison Toedebusch's story »
Read Michelle Spoden's story »