- Enter a field expected to add 35,000+ jobs
- Train in 3 months at your pace
- Prepare to earn average salaries of $32,000/yr
- All for only $1,995
- Walgreens and CVS Externships Available!
- Enroll Today: Get a laptop plus FREE textbooks!
Enroll Today: Get a laptop plus FREE textbooks!Enroll Online »
Pharmacy Technician Job Description & Earning Potential
What Work Will I Be Doing as a Pharmacy Technician?
Pharmacy technicians are crucial to keeping a pharmacy running smoothly. As a pharmacy tech, you'll have duties and responsibilities such as:
- Accurately and efficiently preparing prescription orders
- Verifying prescription information and dosage
- Entering patient and order information into the pharmacy system
- Processing and submitting insurance claims
- Providing quality customer service to patients and other healthcare providers
Most pharmacy technicians work in retail settings, such as neighborhood pharmacies or grocery stores. There are also positions in hospitals, clinics and outpatient centers, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, mail-order pharmacies, tele-pharmacies, and nuclear pharmacies.
How Much Can I Make as a Pharmacy Technician?
Pharmacy technician pay rates vary by employer, geographic location, and experience as in any other field, and you can increase your job earning potential by becoming a nationally certified pharmacy technician.
- Competitive salaries – The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of pharmacy technicians earn between $24,760 and $37,280 a year.
- Certified pharmacy techs earn more – Pharmacy technicians who earn national certification by taking the PTCB Exam or ExCPT exam are often paid more by their employers.
- Career Step includes certification prep – Preparation for the PTCB Exam, which is the most recognized and respected national certification, is built in to your Career Step training.
With Career Step, you'll have the knowledge and skills to maximize your income potential as a pharmacy technician because the program prepares you to earn your national certification right after graduation.
Read Jessica Cumber's story »
Read David Wedding's story »
Read Gladys Aragon's story »
Read Kristin Choate's story »