Why Should My School Partner With CareerStep?
CareerStep has been training career-ready professionals for 25 years, and our unique industry relationships allow us to make sure our learners are gaining the skills employers need, ensuring your students’ success. A CareerStep academic partnership helps you:
- Serve your students – Offer programs that boast job search assistance, industry approval, and industry certification preparation to help your students start rewarding new careers.
- Lift your bottom line – Increase your revenue without adding to your workload, and take advantage of our payment plans, military funding expertise, and state funding experience.
- Work smarter, not harder - Turn-key programs include everything you need to make the program successful at your school: high-quality curriculum, learner support, marketing help, and more.
Request information to be contacted about becoming a CareerStep academic partner!
What’s Included With a CareerStep Partnership?
A CareerStep partnership includes everything you need to make these online programs successful at your institution:
- Dedicated account management – You’ll have a personal account manager to help you administer and market the programs through your school, ensuring the best chance for success.
- Full Learner and career support – Successful completers are the best way to ensure the success of these programs at your school, and CareerStep offers full Learner support, including job search assistance after completion.
- Marketing help and resources – CareerStep offers step-by-step marketing guidance and generous budget contributions to help you jumpstart these programs at your institution.
Add CareerStep programs to your course catalog with the assurance that you’ll have the support needed to make these programs successful at your institution! See our current list of available programs on our Programs page or request more information above to get started today!
CareerStep is registered under the Utah Post-Secondary Proprietary School Act but is not nationally or regionally accredited. However, our career-focused training programs are approved by a number of industry specific organizations and are designed with employer feedback to ensure your students are gaining exactly the skills needed to get a job and succeed in the workforce.
The CareerStep training programs prepare your students for career fields where employers are looking for skilled applicants. CareerStep works closely with employers when developing a training program to ensure your students finish with the skills employers are looking for. We've also developed close ties to industry associations, aligning our programs with their recommendations. CareerStep programs boast the following recognitions:
- CareerStep’s Medical Transcription curriculum is approved by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the leading medical transcription industry association.
- The Professional Medical Coding and Billing program is approved by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), one of the largest and most prestigious health information organizations in the country.
- The CareerStep Pharmacy Technician program has been reviewed and approved by the State Boards of Pharmacy in Indiana, Utah, and Virginia. (Many states don't have any regulations on the education of pharmacy technicians, and very few require board approval. For more information on each state's pharmacy technician education regulations, view our State Requirements pdf.) Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy also offer CareerStep Pharmacy Technician Learners the opportunity to participate in a hands-on externship in their stores nationwide.
- The Medical Administrative Assistant program is approved by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), a leading organization focused on increasing the quality of health career education.
CareerStep programs are also designed to prepare you for certifications that greatly improve your employment opportunities. Employers are often more familiar with various credentials than with the quality of education provided by different schools. To help your resume stand out from other applicants, various CareerStep programs help prepare your students to earn the following third-party credentials:
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) and Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT)
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- Microsoft Office Specialist – Master (MOS-Master)
This focus on helping you gain the skills needed to succeed in the workforce has made our Learners successful in the job market—most of employed Medical Transcription completers work from home in their first job, Medical Coding and Billing learners report a certification exam pass rate higher than the national average, and Pharmacy Technician Learners can take advantage of externship opportunities with Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy.
CareerStep has been providing quality education since 1992. The Medical Transcription training program was released in its online format in 1999. Since then, CareerStep has added more than a dozen new programs, which are focused in healthcare and also provide options for the administrative and technology fields. For a list of currently available courses, visit our Programs page.
The CareerStep training programs are all focused in growing industries. These fields offer an increasing number of job opportunities as new jobs are created due to overall industry demand for well-trained professionals.
Because the CareerStep programs are focused in areas of high growth, there is increasing demand for well-trained professionals in these job markets, making it much easier for your students to get hired after completion. The CareerStep curriculum is designed in collaboration with industry employers and experts to make sure Learners gain the skills they need to succeed in the workplace, and over 900 employers nationwide have hired CareerStep Learners. The majority of Learners are hired within a few months of completion.
CareerStep's focus on building curriculum that prepares your students for the workplace also ensures that they are prepared for the appropriate industry certifications. This includes certifications through the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (for medical transcriptionists), the American Health Information Management Association and the American Academy of Professional Coders (for medical coders), the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (for pharmacy technicians), the National Healthcareer Association (for medical administrative assistants and medical billers), and the Computer Technology Industry Association (for computer technicians). Professionals who earn these certifications are more marketable when looking for work and may also earn higher salaries due to their credentials. CareerStep Learners who take certification exams after completion have reported higher success rates than the national averages for these exams.
The CareerStep programs prepare Learners for career that have salaries ranging from $32,000 to $52,000 a year.
CareerStep Career Services include:
- Personal consultation with a Career Advisor
- New job opening notifications
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Access to CareerStep's help hotline after finishing
Medical Transcription completers also have access to CareerStep's database of employers. All of these resources offer the personalized help needed after completion to quickly and easily transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our Learners are hired within a few months of completion.
CareerStep’s Learner support covers several different areas and is designed to ensure that Learners are not alone as they work through the online course. Enrollment in a CareerStep training program offers unlimited access to:
Learner Support Instructors and Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the curriculum and the industry. They provide prompt answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training.
Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available to help Learners work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
Career Support Advisors who help Learners transition to the workforce after completion. Career Advisors will help Learners prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and learn valuable job search techniques.
Though the programs are entirely online, your students are never on their own. CareerStep’s support teams are available to offer personal, on-going support all the way through the training program. The course website contains complete information for contacting the support teams by email, phone, and chat.
CareerStep learners are prepared to sit for appropriate industry certification exams upon completion, but they are not certified when they finish. Learners wishing to earn an industry certification must take this exam independently. Information about the industry certifications and where to find schedule information is included in the courses.
CareerStep completers are prepared for the following certifications:
|Program of Completion||Certification|
|Executive Assistant||Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Master|
|Computer Technician||CompTIA A+|
|Healthcare IT||CompTIA A+, Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA), Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)|
|Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR||Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA), Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)|
|Medical Billing||Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS)|
|Medical Coding and Billing||Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Coding Assistant (CCA)|
|Medical Office Manager||Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA), Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)|
|Pharmacy Technician||Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Exam (PTCE for the CPhT credential)|
Vouchers to take these industry certification exams (in some cases the exam of the Learner’s choice) are included with the courses in most cases. Learners receive the vouchers upon completion.
The healthcare industry is currently experiencing a push to move to electronic documentation, or electronic medical records (EMR), and while this transition to EMR is bringing changes to the medical transcription, medical coding and billing, and medical administrative assistant professions, it is increasing the demand for these services, not decreasing them.
Online training offers your students the flexibility to study on their own schedules. With 24/7 access to the curriculum, your students have the freedom to study around their normal daily activities. The CareerStep learning platform also offers:
- Automatic grading – Exercises and tests are graded automatically so Learners don't have to wait for feedback. Test scores are stored in the gradebook for easy review. Grading is precise, encouraging further development and attention to detail.
- Pronunciation – Many CareerStep programs include extensive terminology training. Thousands of medical terms are pronounced at the click of a button using RealAudio software.
- Communications Center – The online learning platform also includes its own forum and chat features, providing tools to communicate with other Learners as well as CareerStep Learning Advisors.
The medical transcription industry is evolving. Speech recognition software is playing a larger role, and employers are looking to hire professionals with specialized skill sets to work with this new technology. The reports created by speech recognition software must be edited, formatted, and polished by a medical transcription editor—however, employers are looking for professionals who have a core foundation of medical transcription skills in addition to the specialized medical editor skill set.
The CareerStep Medical Transcription Editor training program is designed to prepare Learners for this dynamic job market. The Medical Transcription Editor program is built on the trusted CareerStep Medical Transcription curriculum and is designed to help your students develop the knowledge and skills of a quality medical transcriptionist as well as the specialized skill set of a medical transcription editor. With the Medical Transcription Editor program, Learners will be training for multiple career paths, increasing their flexibility after completion, and preparing for the future of the industry.
Medical coders and billers work closely together, and their jobs are interrelated. In the reimbursement process, medical coders take a patient’s medical record and assign standardized codes to diagnoses, tests, treatments, and procedures. After these codes are assigned, medical billers use this data to compile and submit claims for payment. Medical coding requires an understanding of clinical terms and concepts in addition to complex code sets. Medical billers must be more finance oriented.
CareerStep has two training programs designed to prepare your students for these specific career fields. The Professional Medical Coding and Billing program prepares Learners to be medical coders. This program includes a lot of education on medical coding and an overview of basic billing concepts. The Medical Billing program prepares Learners for careers as specialized medical billers. They learn all of the ins and outs of billing with a brief introduction to coding. Determining the right training program depends on the Learner's career goals.