- Enter the growing healthcare market
- Train in as little as 4 months at your pace
- Prepare to earn average salaries of $40,000/yr
- All for only $2,795
- Learn about dramatic industry changes…
MARCH ONLY: Lock in 2013 pricing and get a free laptop or Kindle FireEnroll Online »
Medical Coding and Billing Job Description & Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as a Medical Coder and Biller?
As a medical coding and billing professional, you will review patient medical records and assign codes to diagnoses and procedures performed so the facility can bill insurance and other third-party payers (such as Medicare or Medicaid) as well as the patient.
Coders use 3 different code sets: CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-9/10. It’s important to be trained on the new ICD-10 code set because all healthcare facilities and physicians must transition from the ICD-9 codes to these new codes on October 1, 2014. The ICD-10 code set includes:
- ICD-10-CM codes, which are used in hospitals, physicians’ offices, clinics, and similar settings to report diagnoses.
- ICD-10-PCS codes, which are used to report procedures in acute and long-term hospital inpatient settings.
Most of these professionals work on-site for hospitals, clinics, physicians, and a variety of other healthcare facilities. Career Step’s Professional Medical Coding and Billing program will teach you to use all of these codes—CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM, and ICD-10-PCS—to make sure you have the skills needed to earn national certification and start working right away.
How Much Can I Make in Medical Coding and Billing?
Pay scales of medical coders and billers vary by employer, geographic location, and experience, and you can quickly increase your earning potential by earning industry credentials:
- Competitive salaries – The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of medical coding and billing professionals earn between $26,280 and $43,410 a year.
- Certified coders earn more – The 2010 AAPC Salary Survey reports that certified coders earn over $7,500 more per year than their non-certified colleagues.
- Career Step includes certification prep – Preparation for both the CCA (offered by AHIMA) and the CPC (offered by AAPC) exams is built in to your AHIMA-approved Career Step training so you're prepared to earn industry credentials right after graduation.
With Career Step, you'll have the knowledge and skills to maximize your earning potential after graduation.
Why Career Step? »
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
- Why You Should Consider A Medical Coding Career»
Career Step student Katherine describes her experience with the online school as she studies to be a medical coding and billing professional. Watch Video »
- "I was always very skeptical when it came to taking courses online. I always felt that it would be better to be in a classroom environment, but when I started Career Step, boy did I get comfortable quick. I was amazed at how much support was there for me, and I sure did use it. The student support team was always there to listen to me and encourage me and help me get my mind back on track. . . . They helped me with anything and everything . . . WOW! Thank you so much, Career Step!" Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to start a new career. Thanks to the intense course, I feel confident in starting my new career. . . . I know I would not be able to do this work if your course had not been so complete." Read More Reviews »
- "I was able to get a job within 3 weeks of graduating, which was largely related to the Career Step name on my resume. I have talked to people and read that many new grads from other schools are looking for work for 4 to 6 months. I love my job and, while I am still learning the details of the job, I was well prepared for the work!" Read More Reviews »
- "I currently work for a national healthcare consulting company and thanks to the Career Step program my career is advancing very rapidly. ... Without Career Step I never would have been ready for the national exam. The setup of the program was very user friendly and if I ever had a question it was answered in a very prompt manner. I have referred others to the program and my co-workers have also mentioned the program to others looking to prepare for the certification exam. THANK YOU CAREER STEP!!!!" Read More Reviews »
- "I made it through the course in a little less than a year, and I got hired less than 48 hours after I took the final!! . . . I have many friends who have gone to other schools and are still unemployed. Thankfully, I chose the right school that has a great reputation of producing top-notch students. Career Step really prepared me for employee testing and, ultimately, employment." Read More Reviews »
"The Career Step program is well-designed . . . Step by step, it leads the student through learning . . ." See More Reasons »
- "I was very fortunate to find a job . . . within the first month. While I found the course to be exactly what it was advertised to be and I was very pleased with the training I received, I cannot say enough about Graduate Support! I was not expecting the level of involvement with my job search that Career Step provided. In my opinion, Career Step does not consider you to have completed the course until you have found employment!" Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step gave me the training I needed to confidently begin a new career . . . Within a month of graduation I was hired and feel that every day I have used the knowledge gained from Career Step. Thanks for an excellent course!" Read More Reviews »
- "Overall, I was very pleased with everything that Career Step had to offer. I was attracted to Career Step because I am a military spouse, and I was looking for a new career that would be easy to transfer, as my family transfers from one base to another. . . . As a new graduate, I look forward to all the new opportunities that Career Step has opened up to me." Read More Reviews »
- "We've hired a number of Career Step graduates, and we've been very happy with the quality of the work that they've done at our organization. We love the way that the program tests and evaluates them along the process, and it's really helped us select those who are really shining stars." Read More Reviews »
Employment Focused Training
"The training you get from Career Step is just like the work you will receive when you start working." See More Reasons »
- "I couldn't be happier with the Career Step program. The course material was so thorough, and it was presented in a way that was really easy to understand on your own." Read More Reviews »
- "The experience with Career Step was a wonderful one. I was working two jobs and raising my newborn son while taking these courses, and the program is so convenient that even I was able to find the appropriate time." Read More Reviews »
Big Bang for Your Buck
"I definitely got my money’s worth with Career Step…" See More Reasons »
- "I just have to say that Career Step has TRULY changed my life!! You work so hard for a 2- or 4-year college degree and then are left with no on-the-job experience and no employment when you've graduated. Yet with Career Step, I was able to complete the course in less than a year, had training that left me fully prepared and equipped, and was contacted by a recruiter a few days after graduating!" Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step changed everything for me! he program was challenging and, ultimately, rewarding! I went on to become nationally certified soon after completing the course. . . . Thank you for the new career and life!" Read More Reviews »
- "We have had great success, particularly with the Inpatient and Outpatient Medical Coding and Billing course. We have a 96% pass rate for students taking the AHIMA or AAPC tests upon completion of their program. The national pass rate is around 67%—so I think that speaks to the quality of the course Career Step offers." Read More Reviews »