- Enter the growing healthcare market
- Train in 3 months at your pace
- Prepare to earn average salaries of $35,000/yr
- All for only $1,995
- See the Top 5 Reasons to Choose Career Step
OCT ONLY: Get a free iPad or up to $500 off!Enroll Online »
Medical Billing Job Description & Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as a Medical Biller?
Medical billers are incredibly important in every healthcare facility— these providers can't stay in business without good billers. Traditionally, billers have either been trained on the job or have been medical coders who do both the coding and billing. However, the shortage of coders and the growing demand for skilled medical billing specialists has employers looking for professionals who know billing basics. Training with Career Step prepares you for a medical billing-specific career in much less time than it would take if you were gaining coding skills as well.
As a medical billing specialist, you will take the data provided by the medical coders and use it to compile and submit claims to insurance companies and then subsequently bill patients. Day-to-day responsibilities vary from location to location, but often include:
- Using coded data to produce and submit claims to insurance companies
- Working directly with the insurance company, healthcare provider, and patient to get a claim processed and paid
- Reviewing and appealing unpaid and denied claims
- Verifying patients’ insurance coverage
- Answering patients’ billing questions
- Handling collections on unpaid accounts
- Managing the facility’s Accounts Receivable reports
Medical billing specialists work in almost every type of healthcare facility, including hospitals, doctors' offices, skilled nursing facilities, and home health agencies, among others. You may also be able to find positions in insurance companies and specialized medical billing outsource companies.
How Much Can I Make in Medical Billing?
As in any other industry, medical billing pay rates vary by employer, geographic location, and experience. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the middle 50% of medical billers earn between $26,280 and $43,410 a year. Medical billers may also qualify for traditional employment benefits.
With Career Step, you'll gain the skills you need to start earning a competitive salary immediately upon graduation.
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
Make an online program work for you! Check out our 5 student-tested study tips for staying motivated and productive as an online student.
Learn how to be great study buddy—whether you’re studying online or on-campus! Our infographic will also give you tips on how to choose the perfect study buddy.
Career Step student Katherine describes her experience with the online school as she studies to be a medical coding and billing professional. Watch Video »
- "Career Step was the best thing that ever happened to me... I love the opportunity that Career Step has given me. The knowledge I have obtained from Career Step can take me anywhere I want to go. They provide the groundwork to a lifelong career." Read More Reviews »
- "Career Step has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to start a new career. Thanks to the intense course, I feel confident in starting my new career. . . . I know I would not be able to do this work if your course had not been so complete." Read More Reviews »
Big Bang for Your Buck
"I definitely got my money’s worth with Career Step…" See More Reasons »
- "I just have to say that Career Step has TRULY changed my life!! You work so hard for a 2- or 4-year college degree and then are left with no on-the-job experience and no employment when you've graduated. Yet with Career Step, I was able to complete the course in less than a year, had training that left me fully prepared and equipped, and was contacted by a recruiter a few days after graduating!" Read More Reviews »
Employment Focused Training
"The training you get from Career Step is just like the work you will receive when you start working." See More Reasons »
"The Career Step program is well-designed . . . Step by step, it leads the student through learning . . ." See More Reasons »
- "I couldn't be happier with the Career Step program. The course material was so thorough, and it was presented in a way that was really easy to understand on your own." Read More Reviews »
- "I love Career Step! When I enrolled, I thought that this was going to be a hard, lonely road. I was wrong. When I enrolled, I joined a team and gained a family. I was never alone. If I needed help or had a question, all I had to do was email student support or post on the forum. Everybody was so friendly and knowledgeable. They always gave you the feeling that they were only there for one reason—to see you succeed." Read More Reviews »