Computer Technician Program Description
Employer trusted. Learner loved.
Some say we over-train our computer technicians. We’ll take that as a compliment. You can take it as assurance that you’re getting the best training in the business. Our online computer technician training is reverse engineered from the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) certification. That’s the most prestigious recognition of real-world expertise you can get as a new computer technician. But our program is way more than fancy training, it’s a career jump-starter (with expert job-hunting assistance built in). So, you walk away with a shiny new skillset, certification in hand and hot job prospects on the horizon. Simply put, if you’re looking for your best career retraining or upskilling option and wondering how to become a computer technician … you just found what you were looking for.
Our computer technician curriculum is full of rich, visual content, including images, videos, demonstrations and simulations that help you quickly comprehend new concepts. It covers everything you need to take the CompTIA A+ Core Series certification exams. (And pass with flying colors!)
142 video lessons
117 interactive simulations
8 sandbox simulations
189 text lessons
3 certification practice exams
189 text lessons
Your new computer technician career is closer than you think. Because our program is designed to be completed in just 12 weeks of full-time study. (Based on 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.) But it’s also totally self-paced. You have the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows. This is training on your timeline, not ours. So the time it takes to complete your online computer technician training is up to you. If you have other stuff to juggle and need extra time, you’ll have six months of program access to complete your training. Best of all, you don’t have to wait. You can begin today. As soon as your payment is processed, we’ll email your login and password so you can start training today!
3 months of full-time study
182 hours of training materials
Our computer tech certification program is designed to be doable. Unlike traditional brick-and-mortar schools, our have-it-your-way training is always on … because it’s online. 24/7 web access gives you the freedom to study however, whenever, and wherever you want. Got a laptop? You’re ready to rock!
Learn from home (or anywhere)
Study onleine (anytime)
We’re people, not just a website. And this is tech training with TLC. So don’t think of your computer technician training online as e-learning. Think of it as we-learning, because we’re in it with you every step of the way. Real people (dedicated trainers, tutors, tech support, and career advisors) are all devoted to your success—from before you sign up to after you complete your program.
Phone, live chat, and email
Computer Technician Program Modules
How do you consume tons of new information? One bite at a time. That’s why our 182-hour curriculum is divided into 19 bite-size modules. Click each module to see what you’ll learn.
Program Orientation (1 Hour)
- Identify the elements, expectations, and requirements of the program.
- Navigate the program using the pages, menus, and buttons provided.
- Use the program tools, including the study planner, gradebook, and completion report.
- See how to contact/communicate with CareerStep via phone, email, forums, chat rooms, and social media.
- Identify and use program-specific resources.
Computing Overview (5 Hours)
- Identify common input/output (I/O) ports by sight.
- Connect common peripherals to standard ports.
- Navigate the Windows 10 interface.
- Navigate the macOS interface.
- Use shell commands.
- Shut down a Linux system.
PC Technician Responsibilities (4 Hours)
- Use an anti-static mat and strap to protect yourself from electrostatic discharge (ESD).
- Implement appropriate grounding procedures.
- Improve your communication and client interaction techniques.
- Go through the change management process to request changes to a project.
- Use a PC toolkit.
- Install an uninterruptible power supply (UPS).
- Configure UPS settings.
- Use a troubleshooting process.
System Components (13 Hours)
- Install a power supply.
- Select an appropriate motherboard and install it in a desktop computer.
- Troubleshoot system power issues.
- Select and install a processor.
- Troubleshoot processor installation.
- Classify and distinguish different types of random access memory (RAM).
- Distinguish between different standards of dynamic random access memory (DRAM).
- Select and install the correct memory module.
- Install triple-channel memory.
- Troubleshoot memory issues.
- Find and edit basic input/output system (BIOS) settings.
- Clear a computer’s complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) settings.
- Install an expansion card.
- Select the appropriate video card for a computer system.
- Upgrade a video card.
- Select and install a sound card.
- Understand cooling methods.
Peripheral Devices (5 Hours)
- Understand the various functions of different peripheral devices.
- Connect keyboard, video, and mouse (KVM) to control multiple computers.
- Connect peripheral devices using the appropriate cables and connectors.
- Identify typical USB connectors and ports.
- Connect USB peripheral devices (including storage devices, printers, smartphones).
- Select and install USB devices based on customer requirements.
- Identify digital and analog connectors by sight.
- Select the appropriate display device based on customer requirements and system support.
- Configure display properties (including dual monitor support) in Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Troubleshoot monitors with no display, monitors displaying in VGA mode, and monitors with thermal shutdown.
Storage (9 Hours)
- Select the appropriate storage solution.
- Install serial advanced technology attachment (SATA) devices.
- Understand and differentiate optical media types.
- Create RAID storage.
- Implement a RAID solution.
- Understand file systems.
- Create volumes.
- Format and convert drives.
- Mount a partition to a folder.
- Extend existing volumes.
- Implement storage spaces.
- Perform disk cleanup and disk defragmentation.
- Check a hard disk for E24 errors.
- Troubleshoot boot failures.
- Troubleshoot problems with storage device boot priority in the BIOS and unified extensible firmware interface (UEFI).
- Troubleshoot SATA drive issues.
- Optimize Solid State Drive (SSD) storage devices.
Networking (10 Hours)
- Understand networking on a high level.
- Select and install a network adapter.
- Understand ethernet connection, IP Networking.
- Configure transmission control protocol/internet protocol (TCP/IP) settings.
- Configure alternate TCP/IP settings.
- Understand IP Version 6.
- Configure cable, digital subscriber line (DSL), and dial-up internet connections.
- Explore configuration information.
- Use ifconfig.
- Fix a network connection.
Wireless Networking (5 Hours)
- Connect to a wireless network.
- Create a home wireless network.
- Secure a home wireless network.
- Configure a wireless profile.
- Understand the basics of infrared, Bluetooth, and near-field communication (NFC).
- Configure a wireless infrastructure.
- Configure smart devices.
- Troubleshoot wireless networks.
Printing (5 Hours)
- Choose a printer to fulfill the requirements for a given situation.
- Select and install a printer.
- Configure network printing.
- Add a printer.
- Manage printing.
- Maintain a laser printer.
- Troubleshoot and resolve common printing problems.
Mobile Devices (6 Hours)
- Identify notebook external ports and functions.
- Replace the hard disk in a notebook computer.
- Add memory to a notebook.
- Change notebook components such as the keyboard, video card, and other internal components.
- Edit power options and create a power plan for laptops and mobile devices.
- Locate service manuals for notebook systems.
- Perform preventative maintenance on notebook systems.
System Implementation (5 Hours)
- Analyze users' needs prior to purchasing or building a new computer system.
- Customize a computer's hardware to match end-user requirements.
- Select the correct version and edition of Windows for a given implementation.
- Verify system compatibility before upgrading to a newer version of Windows.
- Prepare disks for installation.
- Install a workstation image using PXE.
- Understand post-installation procedures.
- Enable virtualization technology (VT) in the BIOS.
- Create virtual machines and hard disks.
File Management (6 Hours)
- Find system file locations.
- Use libraries.
- Manage files and folders.
- Configure new technology file system (NTFS) permissions.
- Share and secure folders.
- Manage the Linux file system.
- Manage Linux file ownership.
System Management (17 Hours)
- Use Task Manager to view current performance statistics.
- Use Control Panel to configure your system.
- Use system tools to view configuration information for your computer.
- Use prebuilt and custom management consoles to manage your computer.
- View and edit registry settings.
- Manage files, processes, and system settings from the command prompt.
Security (11 Hours)
- Understand security best practices.
- Understand appropriate incident response.
- Configure remote wipe.
- Require a screen saver password.
- Understand how to protect against social engineering.
- Configure BIOS/UEFI security.
- Configure Windows Defender.
- Enforce password setting.
Capstone Exercises (4 Hours)
- Build a computer from scratch.
- Troubleshoot a malfunctioning computer.
- Troubleshoot system startup.
- Create a home office network.
- Configure the windows operating system.
- Troubleshoot a mobile device.
- Configure Linux.
PC Pro Certification Practice (51 Hours)
PC Pro Certification Practice, Single Attempt (2 Hours)
CompTIA A+ 220-1001 Core 1 Certification Practice Exam (12 Hours)
CompTIA A+ 220-1002 Core 2 Certification Practice Exam (11 Hours)
Computer Technician Certifications
We provide three free certification practice exams, plus two actual test vouchers. (That’s up to a $438 value!) We’ll even schedule the tests for you to make completing your online computer technician certification as easy as possible.
Prestigious CompTIA A+ Certification
Fundamental PC Pro Certification