- Train in 3 months or less at your pace
- Prepare to earn average salaries of $26,000/yr
- All for only $1,995
- See the Top 5 Reasons to Choose Career Step
- Enroll Today: Get a laptop plus FREE textbooks!
Enroll Today: Get a laptop plus FREE textbooks!Enroll Online »
Veterinary Assistant Job Description & Earning Potential
What Will I Be Doing as a Veterinary Assistant?
Veterinary assistants help veterinarians and veterinary technicians and technologists care for animals in clinics and practices nationwide. Your specific responsibilities would vary from location to location, but may include:
- Feeding, bathing, and exercising animals
- Cleaning and disinfecting cages, kennels, and examination and operation rooms
- Restraining animals during examination and laboratory procedures
- Maintaining and sterilizing surgical instruments and equipment
- Monitoring and caring for animals after surgery
- Helping to provide emergency first aid to sick and injured animals
Veterinary assistants work in veterinary practices and clinics nationwide. As many clinics and animal hospitals are open 24/7, night and weekend schedules are often available.
How Much Can I Make as a Veterinary Assistant?
Veterinary assistant pay rates vary by employer, geographic location, and experience as in any other field. . The U.S. Department of Labor includes these professionals in the Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers category and reports that the middle 50% of professionals in this field earn between $20,340 and $29,690 a year.