Can You Become a Pharmacy Tech Without Going to School?
Posted on 01.27.2020
You don’t have to go to school for years and be up to your ears in student loans to become a pharmacy tech. All you need is a pharmacy tech certification. These are available through pharmacy tech training programs and can even be earned online.
How long does it take to become a certified pharmacy technician?
The program that you decide to go with, as well as your personal investment in your training, can play a major role in how fast you are able to complete your certification. CareerStep’s online pharmacy tech certification program includes 287 hours of online training and 130 hours in an externship.
The program is designed for you to complete in as little as nine months if you dedicate 10 hours a week toward studying. However we understand that many people, even with their life, work, and family needing their attention, will want to put even more time and effort toward the program to complete sooner. The online pharmacy tech training is built for you to study on your own schedule. You can access the program through any computer with an internet connection, which allows you to complete your certification when it works best for you without feeling rushed.
How do I get certified to be a pharmacy technician?
To become a certified pharmacy technician, you need to pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Exam. Once you pass your PTCB exam, you can start working as a certified pharmacy technician. The PTCB exam is a 90-question, multiple-choice exam that currently tests on nine separate knowledge areas. Beginning in January 2020, the exam will be organized to test in four knowledge areas. Your score will range anywhere from 1,000 to 1,600, and to pass you need a score of 1,400 or more.
The pharmacy tech online training from CareerStep prepares you for the PTCB. We make sure you have all the skills, knowledge, and experience you need to be successful. We train in everything from prescriptions, pharmaceutical calculations, and non-sterile compounding, to pharmacy law, regulations, and standards. With the training you receive, you will have all of the tools you need to walk into the PTCB exam with confidence.
How much does pharmacy tech training online cost?
CareerStep’s program is a single payment of $3,899. As part of that fee you will receive many benefits:
- Complete online access to the training for 12 months. We allow access for 12 months to make sure that you have time to finish the program at a pace that fits your hectic, modern life.
- A laboratory kit to complete hands-on experiences like filling a prescription bottle, and a Skype consultation with a pharmacy expert to make sure you are using the kit correctly and accurately.
- Help from professional trainers when you need it to succeed in your program.
- Access to our technical support team, who will be able to help with any issues you are having with the program or the technology involved in the online program.
- An externship opportunity with one of our partner sites like Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy. Depending on your local area and availability, as part of your training, you will get first-hand knowledge and experience by working in a pharmacy with other pharmacy techs and pharmacists.
- A voucher to take the PTCB exam. Once you have finished the program and externship, you need to take the PTCB exam to become an official certified pharmacy technician. Others have to pay $129 to take the exam, but CareerStep covers the fee for you, so you can take the test for free.
To find out more about becoming a pharmacy tech online, visit CareerStep’s Pharmacy Technician Program. Learn how much you can earn by becoming a pharmacy tech, additional details about the program you will take, and if becoming a pharmacy technician is the career for you.
Do you have to get a loan to take the class
We have payment and financial options available!
Career steps pharmacy technician
No you do not need to take any classes. I didn’t take any classes, no training, but just registered for the test, took the test and got the certificate cause I passed. I believe I got the score on the same day. So no, absolutely not, you do NOT need any of those courses. You may also go to a library in your city and get the prep book if you really want to get prepped for it. I didn’t even do that.
But I am that strange person that reads the inserts in every medicine I get. So maybe that helped. But I wouldn’t waste money on any of these “college” programs. It doesn’t matter whether you have AA or not. And to be honest, no one cares specially when you apply for a job as long as you have high school diploma or GED. Don’t waste time. You can get the book from the library and verify the information using your internet, such as acetaminophen daily max dosage has changed from 4000mg to 3000mg in 2017. My cert was before that, so you also need to keep up with changes via CEs you have to ado to renew every 2 years. Some are free, if you go with your organization it can aslo be free. Good luck. IT was one of the easiest tests I have ever taken.
How do you register for the PTCB exam?