You don’t have to go to school for years and be up to your ears in student loans to become a pharmacy tech. All you need is a pharmacy tech certification. These are available through pharmacy tech training programs and can even be earned online.
How long does it take to become a certified pharmacy technician?
The program that you decide to go with, as well as your personal investment in your training, can play a major role in how fast you are able to complete your certification. CareerStep’s online pharmacy tech certification program includes 390 hours of training courses and 130 hours in an externship.
The program is designed for you to complete in only four months if you dedicate 40 hours a week toward studying. However, we understand that not everyone is able to dedicate that much time and effort toward a program with their life, work, and family needing their attention as well. The online pharmacy tech training is built for you to study on your own schedule. You can access the program through any computer with an internet connection, which allows you to complete your certification when it works best for you without feeling rushed.
How do I get certified to be a pharmacy technician?
To become a certified pharmacy technician, you need to pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Exam. Once you pass your PTCB exam, you can start working as a certified pharmacy technician. The PTCB exam is a 90-question, multiple-choice exam that currently tests on nine separate knowledge areas. Beginning in January 2020, the exam will be organized to test in four knowledge areas. Your score will range anywhere from 1,000 to 1,600, and to pass you need a score of 1,400 or more.
The pharmacy tech online training from CareerStep prepares you for the PTCB. We make sure you have all the skills, knowledge, and experience you need to be successful. We train in everything from prescriptions, pharmaceutical calculations, and nonsterile compounding, to pharmacy law, regulations, and standards. With the training you receive, you will have all of the tools you need to walk into the PTCB exam with confidence.
How much does pharmacy tech training online cost?
CareerStep’s program is a single payment of $2,999. As part of that fee you will receive many benefits:
- Complete online access to the training for 12 months. We allow access for 12 months to make sure that you have time to finish the program at a pace that fits your hectic, modern life.
- A laboratory kit to complete hands-on experiences like filling a prescription bottle, and a Skype consultation with a pharmacy expert to make sure you are using the kit correctly and accurately.
- Help from professional trainers when you need it to succeed in your program.
- Access to our technical support team, who will be able to help with any issues you are having with the program or the technology involved in the online program.
- An externship opportunity with Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy. Depending on your local area and availability, as part of your training, you will get first-hand knowledge and experience by working in a pharmacy with other pharmacy techs and pharmacists.
- A voucher to take the PTCB exam. Once you have finished the program and externship, you need to take the PTCB exam to become an official certified pharmacy technician. Others have to pay $129 to take the exam, but CareerStep covers the fee for you, so you can take the test for free.
To find out more about becoming a pharmacy tech online, visit CareerStep’s Pharmacy Technician Program. Learn how much you can earn by becoming a pharmacy tech, additional details about the program you will take, and if becoming a pharmacy technician is the career for you.