Phlebotomy Technician Program Description
A virtually fail-proof path to a new career.
Our phlebotomy technician course was developed by medical professionals with years of healthcare experience. Our elite curriculum is reverse engineered from the industry’s leading validation, the Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) credential from the National Healthcareer Association. Our program’s comprehensive training infuses you with the knowledge and simulation experience you need to pass the test and add the prestigious credential to your resume. Rich and visual course materials include lots of images, learning games, and highly interactive simulations to help you quickly comprehend—and succeed. The goal of our phlebotomy technician certificate program is to position you—immediately upon completion—to start working in the field of phlebotomy.
How long is phlebotomy technician training? Our program is designed to be completed in just three to four weeks. Commit your next twenty-some days to study, and you could be trained and ready to work in less than a month from right now. But our program is totally self-paced, so you have the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows. How long it takes to complete your phlebotomy tech training is up to you. If you have other stuff to juggle and need extra time, you’ll have three full months of program access to complete your training. (And you can purchase extensions beyond that if needed.) Best of all, you don’t have to wait. You can begin today. As soon as your payment is processed, we’ll email your login and password so you can start training immediately.
57 hours of online courses
1 month of full-time study
3 months of program access
Our have-it-your-way training is always on…because it’s online. 24/7 web access gives you the freedom to study however, wherever, and whenever you want. Got a laptop? You’re ready to rock! Pretty empowering when you think about it.
Learn from home (or anywhere)
Study online (anytime)
Don’t think of our phlebotomy tech training as e-learning. Think of it as we-learning, because we’re with you every step of the way. Real people—dedicated trainers and tutors to career advisors and tech support team—are all committed to your success from sign up to post completion.
Phone, live chat, and email
Phlebotomy Technician Program Modules
Our phlebotomy technician program online is broken down into four very-doable modules. Think of them as course subjects. Click the modules below to see exactly what you’ll learn.
Welcome to Phlebotomy Technician (1 Hour)
- Identify the elements, expectations, and requirements of the program.
- Navigate the program using the pages, menus, and buttons provided.
- Use the program tools, including the study planner, grade book, and completion report as well as learn how to connect with CareerStep via phone, email, forums, chat rooms, and social media.
- Identify and use program resources.
Healthcare & Cardiovascular Foundations (15 Hours)
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of patients and providers within the healthcare industry.
- Identify common medical prefixes, roots, and suffixes; identify and properly combine word parts to create medical terms; and learn common abbreviations in a cardiovascular context.
- Recognize and understand basic anatomy, pathophysiology, and specialty practice of the cardiovascular system.
- Obtain basic patient vital signs and initiate CPR and first aid when necessary.
Phlebotomy (40 Hours)
- Apply precautions and standards to protect from pathogen exposure, including physical and chemical barriers.
- Process, label, and transport samples in addition to reporting results. Apply laboratory quality and safety regulations as well as collect and handle non-blood specimens (such as urine, stool, and cultures).
- Demonstrate correct venipuncture insertion and removal techniques along with the proper capillary puncture method. Follow accurate order of draw, perform special collections, and understand the types and functions of blood testing.
- Experience simulations of obtaining swabs for culture, performing venipuncture and capillary puncture, and hematology testing.
Final Exam Preparation (1 Hour)
- Identify the steps needed to take to be eligible for and effectively prepare for and access the final exam.
- Identify the format, restrictions, and policies of final exams, including scoring, retakes, allowed resources, and time limits.
Phlebotomy Technician Certifications
Complete your training ready to take and pass the leading industry certification exam. (And ready to stand head-and-shoulders above other job candidates.) Earn the nationally recognized validation of right-now readiness to safely perform phlebotomy from the National Healthcareer Association.
Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT)